Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Troy folding sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/troy-folding-sights-55366/)

tenntyrant 01-13-2012 12:43 AM

Troy folding sights

I want to replace the magpul folding sights on my new m4 with Troy folding battle sights but not sure which ones to get I want to be able to install a red dot and cowitness with them which ones would be best it seems they have standard and micro I will be replacing both front and back. Thanks for any help.

purehavoc 01-13-2012 01:01 AM

Standard folding battle sights is what I plan on using to co-witness

Quentin 01-13-2012 02:42 AM

Troys or Magpuls should be at the proper height unless you have a railed gas block for the front sight or something weird going on. Choose the proper mount and RDS and you should be able to cowitness.

AgentTikki 01-13-2012 04:19 AM

For the most part, Troys will be a direct replacement for the Magpul MBUSs.

I'd recommend a look at Diamondheads. They just make more sense to me.

Do watch out for what Quentin's pointing out tho.

tenntyrant 01-13-2012 04:50 AM

Why do the diamond heads make more sense? Please explain.

mjkeat 01-13-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenntyrant (Post 675761)
Why do the diamond heads make more sense? Please explain.

I've never used them and would like to know as well.

LandMonster 01-14-2012 04:21 AM

I just got the Di Optic, or DOA diamond sights and don't really like them at all.

My biggest gripe is with the small aperture. It's shaped like a small claw and to line it up you have to bring the small tips of the claw in line with the front sight post. Problem is they are so small they blur and disappear when focused on the front sight and target. Without a ring around the post it's impossible to tell if you are high or low. Really bad design.

The large diamond aperture is nice and probably a little better than the large ring on a standard sight. However, you can't see those white lines that frame the large diamond at all when you focus on the front sight. It just a blur so in my opinion they are just pretty... useless.

The rest of the sight is awesome. It's solid as a rock. They don't require Allen wrenches to install. They use a flat head, coin or bullet case in a pinch. They are low profile, don't get in the way of the charging handle and generally feel well put together.

Skip the Di Optic version and get their standard one instead.

AgentTikki 01-14-2012 06:04 AM

We using irons at a distance, it is hard for me to reference if I have the front sight centered in the rear aperature. The corners make it much easier to refernce that I have it cenetered. Just makes more sence to me. The circle to me is ambiguous. Tho I will admit it is.

Honestly I believe that I am a bit faster on snap shots from low ready with the regular circle rear aperature. But I just got these Diamondheads one month ago I'm sure ill be able to get up to par on speedwise. I already shoot better slowfire groups with them, almost right off the bat. Its probably a personal opinion type of thing, but they just make more sense to me.

AgentTikki 01-14-2012 06:20 AM

Oh and I absolutely LOVE the way the flanges around the front sight post fit perfectly into the peep of the rear sight aperature.