Troy fixed or flip sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Troy fixed or flip sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Troy fixed or flip sights

I'm getting some sights for my new AR pretty set on Troy sights but not sure which way yo go kinda like the fixed need advice because there's a big price difference????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87
I'm getting some sights for my new AR pretty set on Troy sights but not sure which way yo go kinda like the fixed need advice because there's a big price difference????
Do you plan on running optics too? If you do I would go with the flip downs. If not, go fixed. Does the fixed Troy rear sight have elevation adjustments like the A2 sights? If you plan on only using irons I would look into a rear sight that can adjust for elevation.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post

Do you plan on running optics too? If you do I would go with the flip downs. If not, go fixed. Does the fixed Troy rear sight have elevation adjustments like the A2 sights? If you plan on only using irons I would look into a rear sight that can adjust for elevation.
Not planning on an optic but could Co witness if necessary I'm not sure gonna look into the elevation adjustment but y would I need it in a rear sight? For distance? Maainly gonna run the rifle at less the 100yds. I'm not to familiar with iron sight adjustments

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 04-13-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87

Not planning on an optic but could Co witness if necessary I'm not sure gonna look into the elevation adjustment but y would I need it in a rear sight? For distance? Maainly gonna run the rifle at less the 100yds. I'm not to familiar with iron sight adjustments
Ok ,if you only plan on running to a 100 yards then you will not need elevation adjustments. A2 sights let you go adjust the elevation based on your distance to target. I think they go from200 to
800 yards. I got out of the Marines 8 years ago ,I can't remember. But I know that A2 sights are the only ones with that adjustment. All if the other style sights give you windage in the rear, and no elevation.

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 04-13-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #5

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

I like the standard fixed front and flip up rear. Very flexible.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post

Ok ,if you only plan on running to a 100 yards then you will not need elevation adjustments. A2 sights let you go adjust the elevation based on your distance to target. I think they go from200 to
800 yards. I got out of the Marines 8 years ago ,I can't remember. But I know that A2 sights are the only ones with that adjustment. All if the other style sights give you windage in the rear, and no elevation.
Read into it some more wont need elevation adjustments for any shot 200yds or less and I have other rifles for longer distance think I may just run the Troy fixed front and rear heard good things about them

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Liked 377 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Being old school, I'm an advocate of iron sights. I prefer fixed. I'm certain I'll get smoked by those who like flip-up, but it seems a moving part can, over time and use, become loose and unreliable. My AR's are equipped with optics, but should they fail for whatever reason, the zero'd, fixed irons are at the ready.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Don't box yourself in and then need to buy twice. I just bought a troy flip up rear because I decided I wanted a 3x magnifier I didn't think I would ever need. I have several sets of sights and the troy rear is every bit as solid as a fixed rear and built like a tank.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Being old school, I'm an advocate of iron sights. I prefer fixed. I'm certain I'll get smoked by those who like flip-up, but it seems a moving part can, over time and use, become loose and unreliable. My AR's are equipped with optics, but should they fail for whatever reason, the zero'd, fixed irons are at the ready.
I bought the Troy fixed front and rear happy with my purchase they r perfect for my rifles use

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fold down, why limit yourself. If you have the $$$ go with the Tritium inserts. I have a set on mine and love them....

http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sights/folding/micro-sets/troy-battlesight-set-micro-tritium

Semper Fi

"One shot one kill"