Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Troy fixed or flip sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/troy-fixed-flip-sights-88706/)

BigBizz87 04-12-2013 11:48 PM

Troy fixed or flip sights

I'm getting some sights for my new AR pretty set on Troy sights but not sure which way yo go kinda like the fixed need advice because there's a big price difference????

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-13-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87
I'm getting some sights for my new AR pretty set on Troy sights but not sure which way yo go kinda like the fixed need advice because there's a big price difference????

Do you plan on running optics too? If you do I would go with the flip downs. If not, go fixed. Does the fixed Troy rear sight have elevation adjustments like the A2 sights? If you plan on only using irons I would look into a rear sight that can adjust for elevation.

BigBizz87 04-13-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1212076)

Do you plan on running optics too? If you do I would go with the flip downs. If not, go fixed. Does the fixed Troy rear sight have elevation adjustments like the A2 sights? If you plan on only using irons I would look into a rear sight that can adjust for elevation.

Not planning on an optic but could Co witness if necessary I'm not sure gonna look into the elevation adjustment but y would I need it in a rear sight? For distance? Maainly gonna run the rifle at less the 100yds. I'm not to familiar with iron sight adjustments

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-13-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87

Not planning on an optic but could Co witness if necessary I'm not sure gonna look into the elevation adjustment but y would I need it in a rear sight? For distance? Maainly gonna run the rifle at less the 100yds. I'm not to familiar with iron sight adjustments

Ok ,if you only plan on running to a 100 yards then you will not need elevation adjustments. A2 sights let you go adjust the elevation based on your distance to target. I think they go from200 to
800 yards. I got out of the Marines 8 years ago ,I can't remember. But I know that A2 sights are the only ones with that adjustment. All if the other style sights give you windage in the rear, and no elevation.

Quentin 04-13-2013 04:49 AM

I like the standard fixed front and flip up rear. Very flexible.

BigBizz87 04-13-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1212237)

Ok ,if you only plan on running to a 100 yards then you will not need elevation adjustments. A2 sights let you go adjust the elevation based on your distance to target. I think they go from200 to
800 yards. I got out of the Marines 8 years ago ,I can't remember. But I know that A2 sights are the only ones with that adjustment. All if the other style sights give you windage in the rear, and no elevation.

Read into it some more wont need elevation adjustments for any shot 200yds or less and I have other rifles for longer distance think I may just run the Troy fixed front and rear heard good things about them

Donn 04-13-2013 12:53 PM

Being old school, I'm an advocate of iron sights. I prefer fixed. I'm certain I'll get smoked by those who like flip-up, but it seems a moving part can, over time and use, become loose and unreliable. My AR's are equipped with optics, but should they fail for whatever reason, the zero'd, fixed irons are at the ready.

drew661 04-13-2013 01:13 PM

Don't box yourself in and then need to buy twice. I just bought a troy flip up rear because I decided I wanted a 3x magnifier I didn't think I would ever need. I have several sets of sights and the troy rear is every bit as solid as a fixed rear and built like a tank.

BigBizz87 04-16-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 1212428)
Being old school, I'm an advocate of iron sights. I prefer fixed. I'm certain I'll get smoked by those who like flip-up, but it seems a moving part can, over time and use, become loose and unreliable. My AR's are equipped with optics, but should they fail for whatever reason, the zero'd, fixed irons are at the ready.

I bought the Troy fixed front and rear happy with my purchase they r perfect for my rifles use

rpmranch 04-17-2013 02:05 PM

Fold down, why limit yourself. If you have the $$$ go with the Tritium inserts. I have a set on mine and love them....

http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sights/folding/micro-sets/troy-battlesight-set-micro-tritium