Troy Barrel Nut
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Troy Barrel Nut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Troy Barrel Nut

OK, so I have a dpms sweet16 bull barrel rifle. I ordered a troy trx standard rail to put on the upper. When I went to reassemble the upper with the new rail I could not get the barrel nut on. It went easily over the front of the barrel but would not go past the section where the gas block is. I called dpms and troy to get exact measurements to see what is going on. DPMS says that the diameter of the barrel .936 and troy says the inside diameter of the barrel nut is 1.043. What gives? Any help is greatly appreciated. I attached a pic of a dpms barrel(mine isn't fluted) to give you an idea.

16flutedbullbarrelss.jpg  

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Use a caliper and measure the two. I doubt the barrel diameter is off, but the nut could of been machine incorrectly. Compare the measurements to what the manufacturer says they should be.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Pardon the dumb question but you say "where the gas block is." Have you removed it? The barrel under the gas block may indeed be .930 but the block itself is higher. Does the nut thread on to the upper?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Pardon the dumb question but you say "where the gas block is." Have you removed it? The barrel under the gas block may indeed be .930 but the block itself is higher. Does the nut thread on to the upper?
Yes the gas block has been removed, it was the first thing off when I removed the free floated tube, gas tube and barrel nut.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I measured when I got home today, and the barrel is larger than its supposed to be. It measured 1.045 instead of .936. Took it to a guy I work with and had him shave a little off the inner ring of the barrel nut. Fits like a charm now. Looks and feels better also. Thanks for the help. Pics are before (black)and after(black/tan)

forumrunner_20111212_221048.jpg   forumrunner_20111212_221122.jpg  

Last edited by jwhirl413; 12-13-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So the barrel is out of spec? Crazy.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To top just my barrel being out of spec, my friend ordered a 20" bull barrel from dpms and its the same size, so we actually had to rework two barrel nuts. 1 more pic

forumrunner_20111212_230056.jpg  

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I can't believe a company can do something so many times and still get it wrong. People need to stop purchasing from these companies so they'll go away.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was also kinda shocked by it. I really hate to say that too, b/c soooo many times i've read how dpms is out of spec, and i never really believed any of it, i mean it really shoots well is very accurate and it has been a really nice rifle. I guess the one good thing is that it is a bigger bull barrel than stated, i probably wouldn't be nearly as happy if it was smaller...

Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Is it just a bench rest gun?

-John Ruskin

Quote: