Trimming a gas tube.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trimming a gas tube.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trimming a gas tube.

I accidentally ordered the wrong length gas tube the other day and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut it down a little bit and if it was safe to do so.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Big - The gas tube is essentially just a return agent. If the tube is too long for your application, taking a plumbng type pipe cutter and shortening the length should not hurt anything provided the diameter is the correct size for your application.

Not knowing what you have in your hands, or what you own, I can't know for sure, but odds are very good they are the same and just difference lengths.

Cut the tube down to size and run a couple of pipe cleaners down it to make sure you get any metal fragments out.

Install and cycle test.

JD

Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure so I wanted to bounce it off someone else before I tried it.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSe63xy View Post
Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure so I wanted to bounce it off someone else before I tried it.
It's really not a complicated platform. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be any issues.

If you had one that had a ton of use and you swapped it from one gun to another, you might have a cycling issue. *shrug*

It's pretty much just a medium to send gas thru. As long as the gas pressure getting through is the same as the spec level for what your spring and seals are rated for, you will be fine.

I would be more concered if you were changing from a long barrel front sight gas block, to a short barrel, mid length and wanted to ad hoc a gas tube.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Good luck and post your results for the next guy who is interested.

JD

Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #5

Liked 331 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Do you have a way of accurately drilling new holes in the center of the tube?
(Gas port & tube retaining pin.)

Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It's really not a complicated platform. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be any issues.

If you had one that had a ton of use and you swapped it from one gun to another, you might have a cycling issue. *shrug*

It's pretty much just a medium to send gas thru. As long as the gas pressure getting through is the same as the spec level for what your spring and seals are rated for, you will be fine.

I would be more concered if you were changing from a long barrel front sight gas block, to a short barrel, mid length and wanted to ad hoc a gas tube.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Good luck and post your results for the next guy who is interested.

JD
I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Do you have a way of accurately drilling new holes in the center of the tube?
(Gas port & tube retaining pin.)
I was planning on cutting the other end off.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
I accidentally ordered the wrong length gas tube the other day and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut it down a little bit and if it was safe to do so.
Just my opinion but why go through all the trouble and effort...they cost $15...order the correct one and see if anyone here wants to buy the one you have now.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #8

Cause I'm impatient. If I can can do this minor modification I can go shoot it this weekend.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Cause I'm impatient. If I can can do this minor modification I can go shoot it this weekend.
Ok now I understand...trigger jones.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #10

Liked 331 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Quote:
I will.

I was planning on cutting the other end off.
That's what I was afraid of. You'll be cutting off the mushroomed end that seals inside the gas key. But you might get lucky and not have any cycling issues.