Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Trimming a gas tube. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/trimming-gas-tube-32856/)

BigSe63xy 10-10-2010 12:32 AM

Trimming a gas tube.

I accidentally ordered the wrong length gas tube the other day and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut it down a little bit and if it was safe to do so.

Dillinger 10-10-2010 12:47 AM

Big - The gas tube is essentially just a return agent. If the tube is too long for your application, taking a plumbng type pipe cutter and shortening the length should not hurt anything provided the diameter is the correct size for your application.

Not knowing what you have in your hands, or what you own, I can't know for sure, but odds are very good they are the same and just difference lengths.

Cut the tube down to size and run a couple of pipe cleaners down it to make sure you get any metal fragments out.

Install and cycle test. :)

JD

BigSe63xy 10-10-2010 12:58 AM

Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure so I wanted to bounce it off someone else before I tried it.

Dillinger 10-10-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSe63xy (Post 365745)
Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure so I wanted to bounce it off someone else before I tried it.

It's really not a complicated platform. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be any issues.

If you had one that had a ton of use and you swapped it from one gun to another, you might have a cycling issue. *shrug*

It's pretty much just a medium to send gas thru. As long as the gas pressure getting through is the same as the spec level for what your spring and seals are rated for, you will be fine.

I would be more concered if you were changing from a long barrel front sight gas block, to a short barrel, mid length and wanted to ad hoc a gas tube.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Good luck and post your results for the next guy who is interested. :)

JD

Highpower 10-10-2010 02:14 AM

Do you have a way of accurately drilling new holes in the center of the tube?
(Gas port & tube retaining pin.)

BigSe63xy 10-10-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 365750)
It's really not a complicated platform. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be any issues.

If you had one that had a ton of use and you swapped it from one gun to another, you might have a cycling issue. *shrug*

It's pretty much just a medium to send gas thru. As long as the gas pressure getting through is the same as the spec level for what your spring and seals are rated for, you will be fine.

I would be more concered if you were changing from a long barrel front sight gas block, to a short barrel, mid length and wanted to ad hoc a gas tube.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Good luck and post your results for the next guy who is interested. :)

JD

I will. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 365796)
Do you have a way of accurately drilling new holes in the center of the tube?
(Gas port & tube retaining pin.)

I was planning on cutting the other end off.

Jpyle 10-10-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSe63xy (Post 365729)
I accidentally ordered the wrong length gas tube the other day and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut it down a little bit and if it was safe to do so.

Just my opinion but why go through all the trouble and effort...they cost $15...order the correct one and see if anyone here wants to buy the one you have now.

BigSe63xy 10-10-2010 03:43 AM

Cause I'm impatient. If I can can do this minor modification I can go shoot it this weekend. :D:D:D

Jpyle 10-10-2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSe63xy (Post 365864)
Cause I'm impatient. If I can can do this minor modification I can go shoot it this weekend. :D:D:D

Ok now I understand...trigger jones. :D

Highpower 10-10-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSe63xy (Post 365855)
I will. :D

I was planning on cutting the other end off.

That's what I was afraid of. You'll be cutting off the mushroomed end that seals inside the gas key. But you might get lucky and not have any cycling issues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...astubewear.jpg