Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Trijicon acog question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/trijicon-acog-question-80129/)

broke-again124 01-02-2013 11:48 PM

Trijicon acog question

Okay...I think I'm gonna drink the koolaid. I've picked out two acogs I'm interested in and was wondering if some trijicon guys could explain which they would prefer. The models are a ta31h-g and the ta11h-g. Just wondering which you would pick and why. Thanks!

treehugger49 01-03-2013 01:03 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with the Trijicon ACOG, depending on what your needs are.

I couldn't find the TA1-H-G you referenced, so I'm not sure what configuration that model is.

I have a TA31F with the red chevron, and love it. The green horseshoe/dot reticle would be a matter of preference, and I haven't shot behind that reticle.

The glass is clear and they are built like a tank. Those models with BAC are also very effective for quick target acquisition and shooting with both eyes open.

If the difference between the two models you cited is whether it is equipped with the fiber optic illumination, I'd definitely go that route.

broke-again124 01-03-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49
I don't think you can go wrong with the Trijicon ACOG, depending on what your needs are.

I couldn't find the TA1-H-G you referenced, so I'm not sure what configuration that model is.

I have a TA31F with the red chevron, and love it. The green horseshoe/dot reticle would be a matter of preference, and I haven't shot behind that reticle.

The glass is clear and they are built like a tank. Those models with BAC are also very effective for quick target acquisition and shooting with both eyes open.

If the difference between the two models you cited is whether it is equipped with the fiber optic illumination, I'd definitely go that route.

Ta11h-g. I think it will be the ta31. Just can't decide between horseshoe or chevron. :/

locutus 01-03-2013 03:55 PM

Personal preference.

I have 4 ACOGS. Two of them are TA31s I like them all.

treehugger49 01-03-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 1077952)
Ta11h-g. I think it will be the ta31. Just can't decide between horseshoe or chevron. :/

Sorry to have misread your original reference to the TA11...old eyes.

I think you'd be happy with the TA31. It's a little lighter with slightly more magnification, but be sure you can live with the shorter eye relief. For me, the chevron seems less "busy" to shoot through than the horseshoe, but, again, that and the reticle color is a matter of preference.

locutus 01-03-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 1077952)

I have a red chevron and a red horseshoe/dot.

I'll be danged if I can choose one over the other. I dearly love.......BOTH!!!:):D:)

treehugger49 01-03-2013 10:59 PM

^^^^^^^...He's not making it easy for you, is he?

JonM 01-03-2013 11:08 PM

ive got a ta31fg green chevron 4x with the fiber optic. damn fine gunsite. bac isnt something trijicon invented. its a technique used by dangerous game and predator hunters for nearly a century.

trijicon was just the first to put a label on shooting scopes with both eyes open and using it as a marketing tool. it can be done with any magnified optic.

treehugger49 01-03-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1078632)
ive got a ta31fg green chevron 4x with the fiber optic. damn fine gunsite. bac isnt something trijicon invented. its a technique used by dangerous game and predator hunters for nearly a century.

trijicon was just the first to put a label on shooting scopes with both eyes open and using it as a marketing tool. it can be done with any magnified optic.

The key that differentiates a scope that advertises "BAC" over another is the presence of an illuminated dot, chevron, horseshoe, etc., be it from fiber optic or other means of illumination, like a battery. Ordinary black crosshairs don't attract the brain's attention to the reticle in the both-eyes-open mode as do those promoting BAC.

Trijicon has taken the concept, named it BAC, and has somewhat given the impression that it is unique to their products, which, as you have pointed out, is not the case.

JonM 01-03-2013 11:44 PM

ive been doing it for decades with my winchester mod 70 african in 458 winmag. i used a weaver 3.5 elpaso made scope with german post reticle. illumination does help but not needed. the technique needs lots of training and practice to get it to be an automatic reflex. trijicon kinda also misleads that just because its an acog it makes it a snap to use two eyes open with magnified optics.

it is easier with an acog but not something your going to automatically do by placing one on your rifle