Triggers: Wanna replace mil-spec
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Triggers: Wanna replace mil-spec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a smith and wesson _M4_m+p ar setup. Served me well for a year and a half with no problems, LOVE this gun, its my fav in my collection and I think my favorite gun made period. So solid and damn accurate for only 16".
The only thing I might want to change about the gun is the trigger assembly. It's a hard pull.
Anyone have an edjucated oppinion on what I should go for in terms of a smooth, light trigger? I know that this assembly is durable, but I'd like a durable and SMOOTH trigger pull. The smoothest and best out there. Not worried about it wearing out because if its quality AR parts then its gonna serve well. Of course. ARs are the best built machines in the world! Honk if you agree!

Last edited by blackguns3000; 01-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I'm curious where you came across the term milspec, blackguns. How has it caught on in the vernacular of the internet and where? Video games, other firearms sites? It just seems we've had a rash of new people this holiday season who come in "preloaded" with certain buzzwords. While the M&P-15 is a good rifle it isn't "all milspec" as you say, to be so it would have to meet or exceed the military TDP. Only Colt and FN actually do plus a few other companies come very close.

Anyway, do you want to spend a hundred or two for the "smoothest and best out there" or just want a lighter military style trigger? Many options out there and I'm sure you'll get more replies.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

Didn't get my termanology from the internet and I don't play vid games.I guess milspec is the wrong word. I started saying it thinking I know the lingo when I might have had the wrong idea. I'm NOT sure the whole thing was built to at-least military quality standards, Idk much about the Armys standard for how many pounds of trigger pull is on their m4s or if there even is a standard.
Yeah I just want my trigger to be lighter, maybe around 4-6 lbs I wanna say, or is 4 too low a number? Idk, I'm just throwing ideas out there, estimates I come up with using the information that I know.
Are there any particularly easy-to-pull-off tricks I could use to just tweak the parts in the lower that are there now? I know a gunsmith could do some amazing things using just what's there if they have to. I'm definitely not claiming to be a pro, just wondering if there is something I could do to lighten that pull a little.

Last edited by blackguns3000; 01-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A lot of people nowadays call anything bone stock "mil spec". This is both right and wrong to some degrees. As was stated, mil spec is actually a pretty specific category, but mil spec is also pretty basic and bone stock.

OP, I don't have much experience with civilian ARs, nor aftermarket trigger assemblies, but many people swear by timney. There are several different makers on the market, and I've handled a RRA with their proprietary two stage trigger installed and it was VERY nice (you have to say that like Borat)

Timney also makes an adjustable model I think.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Lol Very nice

Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #6

An adjustable option would be cool. Wasn't aware of that bein existant

Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #7

Last edited by blackguns3000; 01-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackguns3000 View Post
The only thing I might want to change about the gun is the trigger assembly. It's a hard pull.
Anyone have an edjucated oppinion on what I should go for in terms of a smooth, light trigger? I know that mil spec assemblies are durable, but I'd like a durable and SMOOTH trigger pull. The smoothest and best out there. Not worried about it wearing out because if its quality AR parts then its gonna serve well. Of course. ARs are the best built machines in the world! Honk if you agree!
IMO, the best $125.00 I have spent on an AR is a Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger. For another $25 or so you can the RRA chrome 2 stage national match trigger.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just recently put a Geissele SD3G and it is great.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Triggers are an integral part of you tool.

How do you use your ar15? Plinker? Range toy? Primary HD/SD? What distances do you shoot?