Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Trigger question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/trigger-question-59422/)

AznZOhAn 03-04-2012 06:41 PM

Trigger question

I just bought my Mega stripped lower for my Mark 12 SPR Mod 1 build, this is my first build and I am having problems deciding on triggers. I have a RRA CAR A4 with a 2 stage and a Sig M400 with a single stage. I have tested a few other 2 stages and enhanced single stages, and so far for my build I'm liking the 2 stage. How good are Armalite, LMT, and CMMG, I'm trying to keep this build very functional with selling my kidneys. I know you pay for what you get, but I was hoping to get some wisdom from people with experience. Should I just spend the money on a geissele, is it worth costing $50-$120 more than the rest?

I have been worked to avoid the RRA NM triggers because of their reliability, mine did mess up once, but that user error (I creeped my finger off the trigger and it didn't reset). Besides that I've had no problems, but I have other complain about reliability issues, wearing out prematurely, going full auto because of poor materials and craftsmanship, and just not shooting good(this is user error).

But I would appreciate any words of wisdom and experience, thanks in advance.

mjkeat 03-04-2012 07:05 PM

Mention RRA 2 Stage over at M4C and you'll quickly get many examples of why you should stay away from RRA's 2 Stage. Remember shooters over there send a lot more lead than most of us. I would spend the extra on a nice trigger.

AgentTikki 03-04-2012 07:08 PM

Word of advise, just sell 1 kidney, save one for yourself ;)

I've stayed away from the RRA NM 2 stagers due to mixed reviews, and reports od doubling and tripling with age. Timney and AR Gold have sterling reputations. But I chose Geissele for their reputation and no BS customer service. Long story short, you won't regret a Geissele. Theyv somehow found their way onto all my builds. If you are looking to buy, there's a vendor I know with very good prices, pm and I'll send you a link.

okdonk 03-04-2012 07:49 PM

I ordered a 3# timney trigger for my AR from botachtactical. Its still backorder but cheapest i could find. Since im not in hurry, i dont mind the wait. Read lot of good reviews and how easy the installation is so i decided to get it. Cant wait! ;)

Fumbles 03-05-2012 05:47 AM

I put a Geissele SSA in my LMT CQB MRP and I love it. It is a 2 stage trigger.

My original LMT trigger was initially really creepy and stagey...and grindy :) as well. I thought something was wrong at first as there was metal on metal grinding that really translated through the trigger. It felt as if something was going to snap or wear something else out. I am told this is normal for a military type trigger. I would squeeze a bit, squeeze some more......it would get light and feel like would let off....and then it'd require more pressure again and kinda hang up like it was catching on something....dragging across an uneven surface.... and all the time just a rough feeling.....and then it would go. It got to where I almost figured out when it was going to go bang.

It eased up after a while...wore in to a point of being tolerable and I could shoot quite nicely with it. I knew I had to change it though.

I can't speak for other triggers, including Timney....which was another option I had as far as a choice.....but the Geisele is really, really sweet. It is super smooth and has a very direct and specific 1st stage with consistent resistance through the pull....... you reach the stop after a short amount of trigger travel..........a tickle more pressure and it let's off.

Bad analogy, but it's like putting a great set of shocks on whatever you ride or drive.......as opposed to OEM.......or some awesome ignition or fuel system upgrade. It takes a good ride and makes it way better.

AznZOhAn 03-05-2012 04:44 PM

Thank you for the guidance, now to find good prices.

7.62 Man 03-05-2012 11:09 PM

Take a look at the Jard triggers for your AR, it is a very smooth light pull trigger system.

http://jardinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=b log&id=2&Itemid=27