Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trigger Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trigger Job

I am looking to install a competition trigger. does any one have a recommendations?
(I reside in CA)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

On my list for purchase this year is the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA). $180.

I like how they are two-stage triggers intended for more than plinking/match shooting. The Chip McCormack, too, comes with good reviews, but they are drop-in units and I like how the SSA is separate parts.

The Rock River 2-stage trigger ($120) has a big following, as well.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have any thoughts on the S3G trigger? Also I have a dmps AR carbine. I am not sure if it has a large pin. How can I tell?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Vendor

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
On my list for purchase this year is the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA). $180.
I can help you with the pricing on that. Coupon Code "FT5" will save you 5% and shipping is still free.

http://www.rogtac.com/lower-parts/lower-parts-kits-triggers.html?manufacturer=Geissele

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1904 View Post
Do you have any thoughts on the S3G trigger? Also I have a dmps AR carbine. I am not sure if it has a large pin. How can I tell?

Your DPMS should have small pins. What kind of competition are you going to participate in? The S3G is a very quick hybrid single/two-stage trigger with a 3-3.5 lb pull weight. As you can tell by its name, it is geared towards 3-Gun, where you want to get shots off as quickly as possible.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

CHLChris Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am not participating in anything. I am just trying to piece together a fast shooting an reliable gun. Thanks for all the help as soon as I get paid I am going for the s3g.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like a cool trigger. I swapped out the stock trigger on my LMT with a Geiselle SSA and I really like it...smooth as silk and a very nice break.

I reckon you have your mind made up and you cannot go wrong with a Geiselle. Just perhaps chew on the fact that is a really fast and light single stage trigger....not very much "forgiveness" I would imagine......ready to let off at the drop of a pin.

The SSA seems very light to me as it is....plenty fast enough too, especially after the stock LMT which was not bad at all after it wore in. And that first stage gives you that little nanosecond of reflection. I cannot imagine a faster trigger than it already is for general shooting. The first stage is light enough and once you touch that second stage, which is a very short travel...it's only two pounds or so and you are rocking and rolling. It's not like it is a long two stage pull. Everything happens pretty quick.

But then I don't shoot comp so I would know about 3 gun needs. Best of luck with it. Let us know how that trigger shoots when you get it and try it out.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Those are very good points, Fumbles! Very light single stage triggers are a bit surprising for standard use. I would really not want that sort of trigger for battle use, meaning home defense, etc. You better get used to only touching the trigger once you are completely ready and aimed.

X-Mark, thanks so much for the info!! I am definitely going to you for my new trigger AND XPS2-0!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 07-31-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those points are really good. I think I will just stick to SSA. I would hate to have an accident with a trigger that's to light.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you look at the trigger pull graphs at the Geiselle site it shows exactly how the pull is.

Here is the SSA. That flat section is the first stage....from .008 or so to .087 or thereabouts....and it goes by very fast, you hardly notice it. Then you get the bump after .087 up to about .107 and it breaks. Notice also the first stage is quite light at under 3lbs and then bumps up very briefly to under 5lbs.

Now look at the superfast pull of the S3G. A very short pull at 3lbs or a tickle more and it let's off.....very fast and light.

Look at that stock trigger around 8lbs and what a horrible profile.

Don't let us choose the trigger for you though man. I personally am so far from being any kind of trigger expert or even shooting expert. You must trust your instincts and feel for what you want.

I just bought a CMMG Stainless .22 Conversion Kit for my LMT and I put it through it's paces today. Once again I marveled at the Geiselle SSA. I had several double taps I did not go for (they do not allow double taps at the range I was at) but that is how light and ready to go the SSA is. I just cannot imagine something as fast as the S3G. That is a specialty trigger truly made for expert competition shooters. I do not believe military personnel would be comfortable with that....maybe a sniper but even then.......scary.

Graphs are courtesy of Geiselle Automatics.

http://geissele.com/TechSupport.aspx