Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trigger happy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Oh and dont tell me to take my scoped upper and put it on my better lower that just turned one problem into a different problem
Well that just shot my suggestion! I run both my LMT M4 upper "zombie popper" and my 20" J&S free float upper "long range Sally" atop my Bushmaster lower w/Chip McCormic drop in trigger group.

Only draw back is that the CAR 15 tele stock is not much fun from the bench.

Tack

Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #12

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Also you might want to try different types of ammo, your barrel might not like tula and umc....just don't go for m193 xm193, xm855, m855 if you're looking for groups. Your Savage might just really like UMC too so take that into consideration. Your 1x7 prolly likes longer stuff.
True , I took the upper off and tore the trigger back apart cleaned it up and put some different grease on it seemed to get rid of some of the grainy feeling but now my issue is it seems like I pull a long way before it ever breaks .
I have some wolf, UMC, W white box, and some PMC , guess I will have to try them all

Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #13

Ok so I tore this thing down one last time after dinner tonight to recheck the surfaces and see how rough they really were . The hammer was terrible so I took a piece of thin flat steel put some 800 grit around it and smoothed it out in the groove , ran the trigger surface over the 800 a couple times and took a little tension out of the spring ,relubed and whaaa lah , smooth as glass and quite the surprise and not what I expected when I pulled the trigger . Honestly it even feels better than my good trigger , but I'm not going to touch it until I see how this one does .

Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you hit it with Flitz on a qtip you can get to a mirror like shine. Put some nice grease on the sear surfaces and a little on the pins and you'll be good to go. Adjusting spring rates will lighten pull in exhange for longer reset and break to ignition times (I forget the technical term for this).

Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
If you hit it with Flitz on a qtip you can get to a mirror like shine. Put some nice grease on the sear surfaces and a little on the pins and you'll be good to go. Adjusting spring rates will lighten pull in exhange for longer reset and break to ignition times (I forget the technical term for this).
I think this is going to be ok for the purpose of this gun since I will be shooting with a scope mostly past 100 yards there wont be any mag dumps well there shouldnt be any mag dumps anyway

I will let ya know how it does this weekend , my only concerns would be light primer strikes but I think it still hits plenty hard and I really didnt take much out of the spring anyway it went from 6 oclock to the 5 oclock position . I also found that a foam ear plug in between the hammer and mag well works perfect for dry firing with the upper off without cramming a rag or something in it.
I figured if it does strike light springs are cheap right . I was really impressed with how smooth the 800 grit paper cleaned it up , I took a cleaning pik across the factory surface and found out exactly how rough it was , it didnt look bad but boy was it rough , did it again when finished and it was like dragging it across a piece of glass , super smooth

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-02-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #16

very nice! range report and more pron plz!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #17

Quote:
very nice! range report and more pron plz!
Well , the trigger fix did wonders I was 1" MOA @100 so Im not going to complain as this isnt a precision rifle . However I had a couple misfires with several different brands of ammo so the hammer spring I must have gotten a little light so I will be putting a new spring in it , I just wanted to make sure I didnt have a inaccurate barrel , all but one of those light strike rounds eventually fired after reloading back in the mag, The 62 gr hp rounds I ran thru it were alot tighter groups than the 55 gr fmj ammo , and not much adjustment was required to get it sighted back in with the 62 gr ammo .
Looks like a 1000 rd case of 62 gr HPs will be headed this way and I will convert my other rifle over to 62 gr also and just use the 600+ rds of 55 gr ammo I have left for my bolt rifle .

Another great 2 hr day behind the rifle , Also took a few handguns with me and shot 5-6 mags of each just to keep up on practice

Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #18

Didn't you say you bent the springs a bit?

Another solution would be lighten you hammer.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Didn't you say you bent the springs a bit?

Another solution would be lighten your hammer.
I only bent the hammer spring .
Im going to try another hammer spring and not bend it quite so much , if I like that feel of the trigger and have the same issues I will take some material off the back of the hammer , either way the trigger is so much smoother than it was before, it seemed like when I got to the end the trigger where it was ready to break it was hanging up causing me to pull instead of squeezing the trigger, thats all gone now , all you feel is a slight bit of take up and it breaks

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #20

The best milspec trigger job I've personally done got the pull weight down to about 4 to 4.5#. I got a leg off the hammer spring on the side opposite indentation to retain the trigger pin. This necessitated lightening of the hammer which takes 2 mins with a grinder. Best trigger job I've personally done. My Geisseles are still better tho by far.