Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trigger happy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Default Trigger happy

Im in dire need of a different trigger group, however I dont want to break the bank .
my first AR came with the same LPK I have in my new gun, but gun 1 trigger is great , super smooth , and breaks really well and I am very accurate with it , gun 2 trigger is heavy , gritty and I am just not as accurate with it as I want to be . I really dont have the $200+ plus to spend on a geissele right now so thats out , but I have been looking at the JP orginal trigger . however by the time I buy that kit and their speed hammer Im still looking at near $175 shipped and Im within $15 or so $ for the Geissele Trigger , Still more than I want to spend

Anyone used the JP trigger with the a factory hammer and get good results ?

Now keeping in mind I am shooting a scope with this gun and it is my 100+ yard gun , I can keep my groups at 3" dia @ 100 yds but Im not happy with that when I can shoot my savage 3 shot 100 yd groups and just about cover all 3 of them together with a dime , I know my AR isnt probably going to be that precise but I know I can do better than 3" groups @ 100

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Oh and dont tell me to take my scoped upper and put it on my better lower that just turned one problem into a different problem

Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Waiting until you can save some more money is probably you're best bet. I don't know of many cheap options that compare.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Bill Springfield does a good trigger job on your milspec trigger.
Geissele has a modified milspec trigger for $45 and $65 for a coated trigger.
Spike's makes a ni-cor battle trigger too.

What I'm hearing is that you can shoot .5 moa. And you'd like to see if you can do the same with your AR... what kind of ammo are you using?
Is this a PSA 1x7 twist cl barrel?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Waiting until you can save some more money is probably you're best bet. I don't know of many cheap options that compare.
I figured this was the case so I will just hold off a while and save a little more $$$. Im familar with the Timney triggers and I see they also make one for the AR now thats a drop in around the $200 mark , Giessele just makes so many differnt types how do you choose ? Im a single stage fan myself if that helps

Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/need-some-trigger-education-please-56476/

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

lol, just saw you've already ready that thread >< sorry

Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Bill Springfield does a good trigger job on your milspec trigger.
Geissele has a modified milspec trigger for $45 and $65 for a coated trigger.
Spike's makes a ni-cor battle trigger too.

What I'm hearing is that you can shoot .5 moa. And you'd like to see if you can do the same with your AR... what kind of ammo are you using?
Is this a PSA 1x7 twist cl barrel?
I can shoot just a tad over .5 MOA shooting remington UMCs out of my savage and realistically thats not great ammo by any means so im sure I could do a little better with some match grade ammo.
yes this is my PSA 1X7 CL 16" barrel , Now I dont expect it to preform like a 22" barrel either but 3" is not a happy medium for me either. now on the other hand 1 MOA would make me feel a little better but this trigger just plain sucks and Im not happy with it . I may take it and put it on my other lower just to see how well I can shoot it but I only had one gun with me at the range so I couldnt swap it .
Oh on the ammo in the AR all I have put thru it is 55Gr FMJ Tula and im doing better then 3 MOA with my other gun shootin it so I expected better but maybe it just doesnt shoot the Tula that well either

Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #9

That'd be a pretty smart swap. That way you can isolate the trigger as being the issue. BTW barrel length doesn't have any bearing on precision, just speed. is your barrel a ligthweight? I forget....

Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

Also you might want to try different types of ammo, your barrel might not like tula and umc....just don't go for m193 xm193, xm855, m855 if you're looking for groups. Your Savage might just really like UMC too so take that into consideration. Your 1x7 prolly likes longer stuff.