Trigger education
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trigger education

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Trigger education

So now that I have my Spikes upper and have decided to use it, I have it mounted on an NFA lower. Now before you all go on ranting about the NFA lower, I'm going to give it a chance. However, I think the trigger sucks. I'm wondering if a JP Trigger Spring kit will help it like it helped my DPMS trigger. It made the DPMS 10x the better just with springs. If not, then what trigger should I get? I'm not spending a couple hundred on a trigger, so at this point either something used someone is selling or i'll get a takeoff from PSA or someone like that. Opinions for bettering it?

I will say, that buying direct from JP isn't plausible. They want $12 shipping on an $11 part. Not very customer friendly. I think I got the last one on ebay for $12 free shipping

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I wouldn't buy it from PSA unless you have a LOT of patience.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #3

Well, in that I meant used, persay someone here owns a PSA and are upgrading and willing to sell the take offs. I looked on ebay and there are a few out there that are factory first take off for other better entire assemblies. I'm gonna try the spring route, but if it doesn't work I'll be looking to replace the entire FCG. I got the yellow spring kit ordered fromBrownells tonight.

I will say some of the companies have stupid high shipping prices. JP wanted $12 to ship an $11 parts. I mean, I ship a bunch on ebay, You can ship USPS priority mail in the boxes that the USPS gives you for FREE in those "if it fits it ships" boxes for less than $5. And for what I bought, I could ship that product in a USPS first class rate packaged for $2.02. I know this as I do it almost every day, It's annoying when they try to slide those fees right up through your poop shoot and assume you won't mind

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I bought 4 of them 2 weeks ago directly from JP to kill the shipping.. i meant to make myself feel better. Then sometimes last week Midway got them in stock. Not sure now though..

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Here what I have noticed with jp spring. Some times you get light strikes that do not go off. It will not fix the grittyness of a trigger .
Honestly if u want a good trigger save your money and buy a adjustable geisselle and be done . The timneys are OK but I have reworked a few of my own that are smoother and a cleaner break than the timney. The geisselle trigger is top notch for a AR

Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

I used the spring kit in my DPMS and it made the trigger advance light years of what it was. It killed the feeling that I was dragging it down a gravel road. The NFA trigger to me seems to have a wavering break point. I don't like that. And I never experienced any FTF from the reduced power yellow springs. But then again, I use all Domestic ammo, and it's the import ammo that has those hard strike primers.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I used the spring kit in my DPMS and it made the trigger advance light years of what it was. It killed the feeling that I was dragging it down a gravel road. The NFA trigger to me seems to have a wavering break point. I don't like that. And I never experienced any FTF from the reduced power yellow springs. But then again, I use all Domestic ammo, and it's the import ammo that has those hard strike primers.
Yes your right on that one most of the FTF were on cheap crap like wolf , Tula, and brown bear, the federals, UMCs, and silver bears we never had a FTF

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
So now that I have my Spikes upper and have decided to use it, I have it mounted on an NFA lower. Now before you all go on ranting about the NFA lower, I'm going to give it a chance. However, I think the trigger sucks. I'm wondering if a JP Trigger Spring kit will help it like it helped my DPMS trigger. It made the DPMS 10x the better just with springs. If not, then what trigger should I get? I'm not spending a couple hundred on a trigger, so at this point either something used someone is selling or i'll get a takeoff from PSA or someone like that. Opinions for bettering it?

I will say, that buying direct from JP isn't plausible. They want $12 shipping on an $11 part. Not very customer friendly. I think I got the last one on ebay for $12 free shipping
Since you're selling the DPMS, why not put its factory trigger back in and keep the JP trigger kit for your NFA lower? Or did you list the DPMS with the JP kit?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Since you're selling the DPMS, why not put its factory trigger back in and keep the JP trigger kit for your NFA lower? Or did you list the DPMS with the JP kit?
Not only did I list it with the DPMS, it is GONE!!!! That sucker didn't last but 27 minutes after I posted it. I already ordered another kit, found it from Brownell's for $17 shipped