Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Trigger education (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/trigger-education-84173/)

GeneralPatton 02-14-2013 03:24 AM

Trigger education
 
So now that I have my Spikes upper and have decided to use it, I have it mounted on an NFA lower. Now before you all go on ranting about the NFA lower, I'm going to give it a chance. However, I think the trigger sucks. I'm wondering if a JP Trigger Spring kit will help it like it helped my DPMS trigger. It made the DPMS 10x the better just with springs. If not, then what trigger should I get? I'm not spending a couple hundred on a trigger, so at this point either something used someone is selling or i'll get a takeoff from PSA or someone like that. Opinions for bettering it?

I will say, that buying direct from JP isn't plausible. They want $12 shipping on an $11 part. Not very customer friendly. I think I got the last one on ebay for $12 free shipping

Squawk 02-14-2013 03:26 AM

I wouldn't buy it from PSA unless you have a LOT of patience.

GeneralPatton 02-14-2013 04:01 AM

Well, in that I meant used, persay someone here owns a PSA and are upgrading and willing to sell the take offs. I looked on ebay and there are a few out there that are factory first take off for other better entire assemblies. I'm gonna try the spring route, but if it doesn't work I'll be looking to replace the entire FCG. I got the yellow spring kit ordered fromBrownells tonight.

I will say some of the companies have stupid high shipping prices. JP wanted $12 to ship an $11 parts. I mean, I ship a bunch on ebay, You can ship USPS priority mail in the boxes that the USPS gives you for FREE in those "if it fits it ships" boxes for less than $5. And for what I bought, I could ship that product in a USPS first class rate packaged for $2.02. I know this as I do it almost every day, It's annoying when they try to slide those fees right up through your poop shoot and assume you won't mind

okdonk 02-14-2013 05:24 AM

I bought 4 of them 2 weeks ago directly from JP to kill the shipping.. i meant to make myself feel better. Then sometimes last week Midway got them in stock. Not sure now though..

purehavoc 02-14-2013 10:25 AM

Here what I have noticed with jp spring. Some times you get light strikes that do not go off. It will not fix the grittyness of a trigger .
Honestly if u want a good trigger save your money and buy a adjustable geisselle and be done . The timneys are OK but I have reworked a few of my own that are smoother and a cleaner break than the timney. The geisselle trigger is top notch for a AR

GeneralPatton 02-14-2013 04:04 PM

I used the spring kit in my DPMS and it made the trigger advance light years of what it was. It killed the feeling that I was dragging it down a gravel road. The NFA trigger to me seems to have a wavering break point. I don't like that. And I never experienced any FTF from the reduced power yellow springs. But then again, I use all Domestic ammo, and it's the import ammo that has those hard strike primers.

purehavoc 02-14-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton (Post 1137365)
I used the spring kit in my DPMS and it made the trigger advance light years of what it was. It killed the feeling that I was dragging it down a gravel road. The NFA trigger to me seems to have a wavering break point. I don't like that. And I never experienced any FTF from the reduced power yellow springs. But then again, I use all Domestic ammo, and it's the import ammo that has those hard strike primers.

Yes your right on that one most of the FTF were on cheap crap like wolf , Tula, and brown bear, the federals, UMCs, and silver bears we never had a FTF

Quentin 02-14-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton (Post 1136750)
So now that I have my Spikes upper and have decided to use it, I have it mounted on an NFA lower. Now before you all go on ranting about the NFA lower, I'm going to give it a chance. However, I think the trigger sucks. I'm wondering if a JP Trigger Spring kit will help it like it helped my DPMS trigger. It made the DPMS 10x the better just with springs. If not, then what trigger should I get? I'm not spending a couple hundred on a trigger, so at this point either something used someone is selling or i'll get a takeoff from PSA or someone like that. Opinions for bettering it?

I will say, that buying direct from JP isn't plausible. They want $12 shipping on an $11 part. Not very customer friendly. I think I got the last one on ebay for $12 free shipping

Since you're selling the DPMS, why not put its factory trigger back in and keep the JP trigger kit for your NFA lower? Or did you list the DPMS with the JP kit?

GeneralPatton 02-14-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1137684)
Since you're selling the DPMS, why not put its factory trigger back in and keep the JP trigger kit for your NFA lower? Or did you list the DPMS with the JP kit?

Not only did I list it with the DPMS, it is GONE!!!! That sucker didn't last but 27 minutes after I posted it. I already ordered another kit, found it from Brownell's for $17 shipped


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.