Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Trigger (

zack02 07-10-2013 11:12 AM

How do I make my trigger lighter/smoother so I can shoot longer ranges ?? Thanks

Gatoragn 07-10-2013 11:20 AM

One option is install a Rock River two stage.

monteros 07-10-2013 02:34 PM sells a spring kit that will help, BUT, depending on your setup using lighter springs can cause your rifle ot have cycle problems.... I see a lot of people buying and using the spring kit, even still, ...

...that have great success and love them. I am sure somene with more experience will chime in too :)

Trigger jobs from your local gunsmith, buying a match grade trigger etc, your POU (Philosphy of Use) will all also come into play, people that are using an AR tactically for home defense, WROL etc might not want a softer trigger because as your adrenalin spikes your fine motor skills, AKA trigger finger, diminishes, and you could shoot someone accidentally.

Soemthing to think about :) But, I would look at trying the JP spring kit for $11 bucks first, then a gunsmith "maybe" then a new trigger :)

ZeusEcho 07-10-2013 07:40 PM

Not sure what your budget is but you could drop in a Timney. I have a 3lb and 4lb version and really like them.

sweeper22 07-10-2013 08:05 PM

You can polish up your existing trigger (which won't much change the weight of pull) to make it a bit smoother and crisper. Or you can invest in an aftermarket trigger.

The downside to aftermarket triggers is they're generally less robust (more prone to breakage/failure) than the standard milspec variety, and they're far more expensive.

I'm a big fan of the $40-70 ALG QMS triggers in an AR. They're affordable, noticeably crisper, while still being milspec tough with a combat type of weight. I would consider these the standard for a range/defense/tactical/utility rifle. But if you want tight grouping well beyond 100yds you're going to want something better still. RRA can be a good $100-ish option. Up around $200 you can get into Geissele, Hiperfire, Timney, and others.

Most of my ARs have ALG/QMS triggers. One has a Hiperfire Hipertouch 3lb. Just my own preferences.

ZeusEcho 07-10-2013 08:35 PM

Sweeper, +1 on the ALG/QMS. Nice trigger for a good price, though as you said may not be the best option for longer distances.

That Hipertouch looks like a really nice trigger, how long have they been in business?

Have you used a Timney 3lb and if so how does the Hipertouch compare?

sweeper22 07-10-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZeusEcho (Post 1300657)
That Hipertouch looks like a really nice trigger, how long have they been in business?

I haven't used Timney. I was a little turned off hearing they're one of those prone to breakage, while also being on the more expensive side ($250). But I have heard their performance and feel is otherwise outstanding.

The Hiperfire compares pretty favorably to the Geissele SSA. You get three sets of springs (2.7, 3.2, and 3.7lb pulls...or something like that). I got a deal from PSA that included the Hipertouch24 + a PSA LBK for like $199. So I bit. I guess I'm willing to be a guinea pig if the price is right, and so far I'm happy. Seemed like a good gamble since the LBK is worth $100 on its own. Would have dropped $190 on the SSA otherwise.

ZeusEcho 07-10-2013 09:14 PM

That's a great deal!

I've got two Timneys and love them so far, so hopefully they don't fail. Looking at the SSA-E now and that Hiperfire is looking good as well.

robocop10mm 07-10-2013 11:35 PM

Colt USED to make a light hammer that really made a difference in the trigger pull. Hammer was 1/3 lighter than stock allowing a trigger spring that was 1/2 the tension and still had the same strike force.

If you look at the trigger geometry on an AR, the trigger must partially cock the hammer when pulled. Hammer spring tension is a BIG part of the trigger weight.

zack02 07-11-2013 02:19 AM

Ok thanks a lot guys