Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > trigger

View Poll Results: single stage or 2 stage trigger
single stage 2 50.00%
2 stage 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default trigger

You guys think I should get single stage or a 2 stage triggers for my upcoming AR builds?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Need to clarify purpose. I believe you had said these are going to be basic defense for the spouse and the kid should the worst happen. If it's basic minute of bad guy, I don't think you need the two stage. You can tune the stock GI Trigger and get what you need out of them.

If you are building target rifles for real accuracy, then I would recommend the two stage drop ins.

JD

Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what he said ^

without knowing the primary use, it's hard to recommend one over the other. but if it is going to be used by the family, then a single stage or trigger job would suffice. even if it was going to be your go-to piece, I would recommend a single action. if it is going to be an accuracy piece/target/varmint then I would look into a good 2-stage, whether it be a RRA kit, or a drop in. I've had real good luck with the Timney drop-in trigger assemblies, and would recommend them to anyone. Either them or a Chip McCormick. If you are going to be building for true accuracy, I would look at the Geiselle or a Jewell, but they do $$$$

Good luck with the builds and keep us informed. someone around here might as well be having some fun. it sure hasn't been me lately, working too damn much. and I don't care what anyone says about the $$$'s, it doesn't do a darn bit of good if Uncle Sam is taking most of it in taxes, and whatever you come home with you can't spend anyway - no time to go out and buy anything

Slo

Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
what he said ^

without knowing the primary use, it's hard to recommend one over the other. but if it is going to be used by the family, then a single stage or trigger job would suffice. even if it was going to be your go-to piece, I would recommend a single action. if it is going to be an accuracy piece/target/varmint then I would look into a good 2-stage, whether it be a RRA kit, or a drop in. I've had real good luck with the Timney drop-in trigger assemblies, and would recommend them to anyone. Either them or a Chip McCormick. If you are going to be building for true accuracy, I would look at the Geiselle or a Jewell, but they do $$$$

Good luck with the builds and keep us informed. someone around here might as well be having some fun. it sure hasn't been me lately, working too damn much. and I don't care what anyone says about the $$$'s, it doesn't do a darn bit of good if Uncle Sam is taking most of it in taxes, and whatever you come home with you can't spend anyway - no time to go out and buy anything

Slo
I hear ya' about the work. I'm going on 2 months of working 7/12s. I need some time off and I need to buy some toys before my wife can blow all of my hard earned cash on couches or something else that I can live without.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I hear ya' about the work. I'm going on 2 months of working 7/12s. I need some time off and I need to buy some toys before my wife can blow all of my hard earned cash on couches or something else that I can live without.
I hear ya. But just think how many toys you can hide in the couch.

Last time I had to do this kind of OT, I too found the extra cash heading towards a new couch and accessories. I found the cure for that though...I went with her to pick one out, ended up with a really nice Lazy Boy with built in recliners on each end, talk about plush...oh baby. Oh...and with the new reclining couch...and with Father's Day happening about the same time...a 60" Panasonic LCD screen somehow came home with it

So sometimes there is a silver lining in the dark cloud

Slo

Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #6

Hmm... I am undoubtedly the least experienced person to respond yet, and would love to hear some feedback on what I'm about to say-

I went with a 2-stage because it allows me to use a lighter trigger pull than I would be comfortable with in a single stage for better accuracy, but still feel safe in the field.

I have a 1911 with about a 3.5 lb pull and have a had one "almost" AD (it was pointing down range, on target, but I wasn't really ready just yet). Because of that, it is not a gun I feel comfortable with as a defensive weapon, at least not without a lot more training time.

On the other hand, I have a rifle with a nice gritty, creepy, heavy trigger pull that just pisses me off every time I use it. I know it affects my accuracy with that rifle. I feel like the RR 2-stage in my AR gives me the best of both worlds- light enough for accuracy, without the "hair-trigger" worries of the light single stage.

Comments?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

from my experience, if you are looking for something that is going to be for quick response, CQB, snap-shooting then a single stage is desirable. But if you have the time to set-up for the shot, then a 2-stage is desirable. But some folks can get by with either and seemingly do so with no probs.

I agree that a light pull 1-stage may not be the best all around for alot of folks out there, specially if they have limited experience behind that kind of trigger. But if that is the case....practice, practice, practice. And just when you thought you had it down....practice some more - specially in a stress situation - like when you have to reach for your piece, out of a sleep, or in response to the door just being kicked in, etc.

Last thing you want to do is have AD's. But....no disrespect intended to anyone...some trainers will tell you...no such thing as an AD. Main and most important safety on any piece...the one between your ears. Safety comes first. But we all know that, right?

Anyway, I vote for the 1-stage for CQB/go-to piece. And I vote for 2-stage for accuracy/target/etc.
Slo