Trash into treasure
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trash into treasure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trash into treasure

Hey guys this is my first thread on this forum and just wanted to post a thread about an option that many people neglect while planning or building an AR or other type of weapon. It is one word .... TRADE!! Some may may read this an use it, others may not agree. But when planning a build or for getting parts together for a build look at local classifieds or ask around. I would suggest gun broker, Craigslist( I no you cannot post weapons on cl, but people do advertise parts such as stocks, bcgs, forearms, and others.), and other used weapons classified sites. You may also check for groups on social networking sites. If you are in the area of Texas I would suggest a group I created, fort hood area shooters. Allot of stuff get sold and traded there. OK enough of sources. The reason I decided to post this thread is because I am currently building my first AR and I'm looking at all kinds of forums for peoples ideas, but everyone seems to write about buying everything new. I have my lower receiver almost completed and guess how much cash I have into it? I have not handed over a dollar for any part of my lower. I will go over in a second what parts are in it. Remember tho this concept my not be for one who thinks they must have a weapon tomorrow. What I do is post some wanted ads and check the for sale or trade ads. Although I know exactly what I want and the look I am going for I am not exact when posting wanted ads, this way you may be wanting a certain quad rail but find that someone is selling or trading one that you like for allot less. Also if you are currently trying to sell an item for funds to build an AR, add that you will trade for AR parts as well. Remember just because they offer you can still pick and choose. Now for my lower, I have a spikes spider lower receiver, a geissle ssa two stage trigger, spikes lower parts kit, and just a standard grip. All of these parts other than the grip were brand new when I got them. It took me about 4 days to get these parts off of trades of stuff I haven't used in years. Now look around, what do you have laying around that you need/can get rid of? Have fun and happy trading.

PS. Tried posting pics, but not allowing me.

forumrunner_20120812_213603.jpg   forumrunner_20120812_213635.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

All of my builds have a used part or two but I much rather buy new parts of my choosing. If you're not careful you'll end up with Abby Normal your way! Well, maybe you'll end up with a good build but your results won't be the norm.

You never said what you traded, you do have cash involved. And shipping unless you do everything FTF.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I do a lot of trading, but if I traced back everything back to the first piece I traded that I paid for.... I'd have maybe 50 bucks in it total. I traded a couple tools for a crossbow, the crossbow traded for a nib surefire and z bolt tax laser. I traded the z bolt for the stripped lower and the surefire for everything else. All parts were nib when traded so as far as not having a good build? Ugh I have to disagree. I just don't trade for anything. On my build I know almost every part I want for it. When someone offers a trade, I research the items and if they I'll not give me the performance or look I am wanting, then I don't trade. Unless I think I have a better chance getting a trade for something I need from that item.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

Again your results are not the norm but glad you found your way.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Please explain how they are not the "norm" . I'm not understanding how you are coming up with this.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #6

Even you would have to agree that your results are not the norm. This definitely is a one-of-kind build that would be hard for even you to replicate. Not saying your wheeling and dealing isn't ok or that you're embellishing, it's just that ... hey why not document your whole trade process for the lower if you want.

______

Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

OK I understand now. I wasn't sure if you were bashing the build or not. I did trace the lower back to its roots. But not the norm build is correct, but whether it was all paid for with cash, or by trading, I know exactly every part that will be going into this build. I will post what trades I do end up making.