Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Transfering an ar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/transfering-ar-83585/)

jeepin1990 02-06-2013 09:35 PM

Transfering an ar

Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much

Axxe55 02-06-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepin1990 (Post 1126887)
Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much

get with an FFL in your area and explain your situation. may not even need to transfer it. depends on the laws in your state.

Quentin 02-06-2013 09:59 PM

Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!

jeepin1990 02-06-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!

Thanks. Hope so too!!! I will. Very grateful that I was picked out of all the other grandsons :)

jeepin1990 02-06-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

get with an FFL in your area and explain your situation. may not even need to transfer it. depends on the laws in your state.

Will do thank you very much.

1911Jeeper 02-07-2013 01:05 AM

At this time (2/2013) in Mn, there are no registration or transfer requirements for rifles. As long as the recipient is not a prohibited person, private sales or transfers are OK.

Enjoy your new firearm.

AgentTikki 02-07-2013 06:07 PM

Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.

GeneralPatton 02-07-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 1128072)
Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.

That's what I thought, but I only know the rules of GA and SC so I just lurked and watched

jeepin1990 02-08-2013 12:54 AM

Thank you all who helped me out. I really appreciate it.