Total noob here - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Total noob here

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
You didnt build that , Someone else did !!!!!
Quote from our fine pressssss........ Cant say it either . Leader I guess will have to work, and not much of one at that
OOFFF!!! Very nice purehavoc! Made my morning that did!


@ TankTop.

My top recommendation in a less expensive price range, would be a Stag Arms Model 3 perhaps...or a Model 1. MY bro' in law has had a Mod 1 for a while and has not had a single issue, well staked etc...solid rifle. Here is a Mod 3.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208

Also, as already mentioned, that S&W MP Sport is supposedly quite good. Two things to note are, it has no dust cover and no forward assist. It has a 1/7" or 1/8" twist and is 5R rifling...it starts longer and then gets tighter.

What about a Del-Ton DT Sport also? I don't know anything about these but it seems to get great reviews.......although that's at their site.

http://www.del-ton.com/DT_Sport_p/dtsport.htm


Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop
My other thought is to save my money a bit longer
This would be my recommendation and if you did that, I cannot praise my LMT highly enough. Mine is the CQB MRP 16" and it is a sweet shooting rifle. I was in the exact same place as you and was going to go Stag after a lot of thought. Then Turners had the LMT Standard Patrol Model on sale for close to the Stag so I bought that but there was a cock up and they sold me a rifle that did not exist. After my 10 days was up I went in to pick up the non existent weapon and was quite pissed off needless to say.......so I upgraded to the CQB MRP because I did not want to wait another 10 days.

But sometimes it's better to just go for quality from the git go.

BTW.....whatever you buy, you can get a drop in CMMG .22 conversion kit that will save you a bunch in ammo....but you get to train with the same weapon, with the only differences being the recoil, muzzle rise range and accuracy.....and the weapon get's a fair bit dirtier after every session. I have one of these.....they install and uninstall in seconds.
__________________
Lewis Machine & Tool CQB MRP Defender, 16 inch 5.56 barrel, 1-in-7 twist, Geiselle SSA trigger, BCM Full Auto BCG, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, Magpul Flip up BUIS.
Fumbles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,749
Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
OOFFF!!! Very nice purehavoc! Made my morning that did!


@ TankTop.

My top recommendation in a less expensive price range, would be a Stag Arms Model 3 perhaps...or a Model 1. MY bro' in law has had a Mod 1 for a while and has not had a single issue, well staked etc...solid rifle. Here is a Mod 3.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208

Also, as already mentioned, that S&W MP Sport is supposedly quite good. Two things to note are, it has no dust cover and no forward assist. It has a 1/7" or 1/8" twist and is 5R rifling...it starts longer and then gets tighter.

What about a Del-Ton DT Sport also? I don't know anything about these but it seems to get great reviews.......although that's at their site.

http://www.del-ton.com/DT_Sport_p/dtsport.htm




This would be my recommendation and if you did that, I cannot praise my LMT highly enough. Mine is the CQB MRP 16" and it is a sweet shooting rifle. I was in the exact same place as you and was going to go Stag after a lot of thought. Then Turners had the LMT Standard Patrol Model on sale for close to the Stag so I bought that but there was a cock up and they sold me a rifle that did not exist. After my 10 days was up I went in to pick up the non existent weapon and was quite pissed off needless to say.......so I upgraded to the CQB MRP because I did not want to wait another 10 days.

But sometimes it's better to just go for quality from the git go.

BTW.....whatever you buy, you can get a drop in CMMG .22 conversion kit that will save you a bunch in ammo....but you get to train with the same weapon, with the only differences being the recoil, muzzle rise range and accuracy.....and the weapon get's a fair bit dirtier after every session. I have one of these.....they install and uninstall in seconds.

Thanks, Some people just dont get it though , I guess they dont spend enough time worrying about it to be concerned . And yes what ever you do end up getting the cmmg .22lr kit is well worth the money just in savings alone
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TankTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 752 Times on 386 Posts

Default

Dangit, now I have something to think about. Walmart is selling the DPMS Sporticle for under $600. Looks pretty good for the money!

__________________
TankTop is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,749
Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Dangit, now I have something to think about. Walmart is selling the DPMS Sporticle for under $600. Looks pretty good for the money!

Sporticle is just a OK rifle it will probably do what you want just fine.
Building a black rifle is a cake walk , my 14 yr old son can put one together in roughly 30 min , its not a big deal . Here is a deal from PSA and Im sure if you look around you can find a stripped lower for $20 cheaper and save another $20. Quality rifle for less than $600


__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TankTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 752 Times on 386 Posts

Default

So Walmart is selling this with a scope for $897 (scope looks cheap). Does this look like a decent deal? They are also doing layaway which would also be nice for my budget. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m400-srp.aspx

Edit : just called Walmart, the scope is a Sig Sauer CP1 prismatic.

__________________

Last edited by TankTop; 09-18-2012 at 11:12 PM.
TankTop is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,445
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Where are you located in Cali?

Are you familiar with the byzantine and asinine laws regarding all semi-auto rifle in this fine state of ours?

__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TankTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 752 Times on 386 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Where are you located in Cali?

Are you familiar with the byzantine and asinine laws regarding all semi-auto rifle in this fine state of ours?
Nope, read the top of my post. I left the socialist Republic of California, now live in Colorado! I used to live right outside of SF in a surprisingly conservative town, Clayton.
__________________
TankTop is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #28
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,880
Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Nope, read the top of my post. I left the socialist Republic of California, now live in Colorado! I used to live right outside of SF in a surprisingly conservative town, Clayton.
Tanktop, welcome to the forum from another member that rabbited out of Kalifornia with his family seven years ago for another state that understood the Constitution. Congratulations on the smartest move you ever made!
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TankTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 752 Times on 386 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop
So Walmart is selling this with a scope for $897 (scope looks cheap). Does this look like a decent deal? They are also doing layaway which would also be nice for my budget. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m400-srp.aspx

Edit : just called Walmart, the scope is a Sig Sauer CP1 prismatic.
Thanks for the warm welcomes, but does anyone have an opinion about the Sig M400?
__________________
TankTop is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,446
Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes, but does anyone have an opinion about the Sig M400?
It's fine.

I think cheaper ($550-700) ARs are quite serviceable and definitely have their place. But if I'm going to spend $800-1000 on an AR it's going to be set up the way I want and it's not going to come from Walmart. That's how I feel.

I think you need to back up and first make some decisions about what you want...
  • What twist rate do you want? (what weight bullets do you want to shoot?)
  • How long of a barrel and what gas system?
  • Handguard/sights/optics preferences?
  • Is overall weight important to you?
  • How much are you going to shoot it and what type of shooting?

Answer those questions, and it'll be much easier to point toward a purchase you'll be content with.
__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Total Impulse Buy mesinge2 General Shotgun Discussion 3 04-30-2011 12:33 AM
Australia's total gun ban roosterjuicer The Club House 9 04-07-2009 04:16 PM