Took my new "used" RRA out today 1st time - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Took my new "used" RRA out today 1st time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You never know with a used rifle what someone has changed but you do sound like you got a deal. Does your RRA have a 223 wylde chamber or 5.56. Is it a carbine or rifle. Photos would help. If a carbine ,weight the buffer, If the buffer is a 4oz buffer get a stock 3oz carbine buffer for shooting 223 ammo. Try a box of 5.56 ammo to see if it cycles better. If yes ,the buffer could be the problem.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Everyone likes to jump at the extractor because its the common problem spot, but I wouldnt hang my hat on that since it didnt do it with steel case. The difference in steel case is the expansion of the case into the chamber walls. Sure a weak extractor may jump the rim due to the case still pressurized, but thats a Dwell issue when you get right down to it. Still can be fixed via an Extractor up-grade, but slowing down the BCG will also fix that. An ARSmith they should figure out whats going on fairly quick.

The next time you have problems save your brass. The ARSmith should look them over for clues as to whats going on.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Gunner, check out Amazon.com, MidwayUSA, or Sportsmans Guide. i paid about $45 for mine. it made for an AR, has ammo pouches, handles and a shoulder strap. you should be able to find something to suit your needs without spending a fortune. also check WalMart, they sometimes will have some decent gun cases priced right.
I have bought many times from midwayusa, I go up that way at lest 1 time a month so I will look there so that I can save on shipping. I see a case on there I like I may wait and see if it goes on sale. It is midways brand, I have one for my glock and like it.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
You never know with a used rifle what someone has changed but you do sound like you got a deal. Does your RRA have a 223 wylde chamber or 5.56. Is it a carbine or rifle. Photos would help. If a carbine ,weight the buffer, If the buffer is a 4oz buffer get a stock 3oz carbine buffer for shooting 223 ammo. Try a box of 5.56 ammo to see if it cycles better. If yes ,the buffer could be the problem.
It is a 5.56 and the gentleman man did weight the buffer and said that did not seem to be the problem. He said the chamber seemed a little tight and the extract spring was weak. I would like to buy some 5.56 when I find some. The gentleman said I did find a good deal on a rra. I do have photos in another thread I started.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer
Everyone likes to jump at the extractor because its the common problem spot, but I wouldnt hang my hat on that since it didnt do it with steel case. The difference in steel case is the expansion of the case into the chamber walls. Sure a weak extractor may jump the rim due to the case still pressurized, but thats a Dwell issue when you get right down to it. Still can be fixed via an Extractor up-grade, but slowing down the BCG will also fix that. An ARSmith they should figure out whats going on fairly quick.

The next time you have problems save your brass. The ARSmith should look them over for clues as to whats going on.
I will save the brass next time, thanks for the tip.... Sorry for all the replys I am on my phone

Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
I have bought many times from midwayusa, I go up that way at lest 1 time a month so I will look there so that I can save on shipping. I see a case on there I like I may wait and see if it goes on sale. It is midways brand, I have one for my glock and like it.
i have a couple of Midway's pistol cases and they are great. i'm down here in Texas, so all my shopping with them is online! they have great service and decent prices and a great selection of products. i have bought several mags for my AR from them and some other accessories for my AR. i also buy a lot of my reloading components from them. they are my first choice on anything to do with firearms for me.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
It is a 5.56 and the gentleman man did weight the buffer and said that did not seem to be the problem. He said the chamber seemed a little tight and the extract spring was weak. I would like to buy some 5.56 when I find some. The gentleman said I did find a good deal on a rra. I do have photos in another thread I started.
Bingo... the brass is expanding under the gas pressure and held too tight against the chamber wall during the extraction process. If the chamber was bored out and the Crane extractor up-grade was used (HERE) all would be well. I bet just the chamber ream out would do the trick, but either or both is fine.