Took my new "used" RRA out today 1st time
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Took my new "used" RRA out today 1st time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I picked up a used RRA ar15 Monday and took it out for the 1st time today. First thing 223 ammo is hard to find where I live I ended up buying 2 boxes of PMC bronze and 1 box of cheap steel case Precision Ammunition.

I cleaned and oiled it yesterday and today I took it out and sighted the iron sights in at 50yds. It took me 16 shoots to sight it in and now I am good out to 75 yds.... Could do better hopefully next time... Now using the scoop witch was basically already sighted in I was hitting 1 gallon water jugs at 150yds and at 200 yds... It took about 3 shoots each to hit but man I can not believe I did, I just never thought I could not me a pistol guy.

ok not all went perfect I am not sure why but I had many failure to extract with the brass pmc ammo like 6 times and it was $10 a box but on the other hand the cheap $6 a box steel case stuff worked flawlessly? I opened it up with the last mag with the cheap stuff. All in all I had a great time and I will keep my $500 AR15 I'm hooked. I will find out the problem with the failure to extract the brass maybe I need to clean it better.

I have not shot a rifle in 8 years and I am happy with my results. I almost like shooting the AR more then my pistols and I think one more outing and I will like it more for a simple guy like me hitting a water jug at 200 yds with an AR feel great! Some day I hope to be like many of you reaching out to 400 and beyond.

Last edited by PlasticGunner; 05-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #2

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

sounds like you did well on your purchase , Take a look at the extractor , however if its ejecting steel it should be ejecting brass . extractor kit is around $18 so even if it needs replaced you still got a hell of a deal

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
sounds like you did well on your purchase , Take a look at the extractor , however if its ejecting steel it should be ejecting brass . extractor kit is around $18 so even if it needs replaced you still got a hell of a deal
Thanks I'm glad you think so, I took it to a lgs yesterday I bought the brass there. The owner said he would give me 500 if I want to get rid of it lol and I fig if he offers 500 it must be worth more anyways it is like my glock I think a gun I will not go with out.... Now I need to buy the 1911 I been wanting and I will be set .... Lol I think I will never be set.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

If you decide changing out the extractor isnt for you you can always go this route with a complete drop in bolt $60
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/complete-mpi-bolt-assembly.html

Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
Thanks I'm glad you think so, I took it to a lgs yesterday I bought the brass there. The owner said he would give me 500 if I want to get rid of it lol and I fig if he offers 500 it must be worth more anyways it is like my glock I think a gun I will not go with out.... Now I need to buy the 1911 I been wanting and I will be set .... Lol I think I will never be set.

Too late Plastic. You are in the early stage of BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and there is no cure, and if there is, those who know who has it avoid that person. You'll realize very quickly that the AR is the magical platform where you really don't need a smith for the majority of issues, and you can have one lower and enough uppers to make the azz of your truck shoot sparks from dragging the road, and able to shoot all of them.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
If you decide changing out the extractor isnt for you you can always go this route with a complete drop in bolt $60
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/complete-mpi-bolt-assembly.html
If it is the extractor I will be able to fix it my self, I was in the remote control hobby for years the type you build your self I think that helped me with working on my pistols. I have had just about all my pistols complexity striped for on mod or another. I cleaned, striped and oiled the bolt yesterday but did not strip the extractor but I know I could.... I just use the internet for reference and ask you guys for help if need be... and by the way thanks for the tip about this being the problem possibly.

BRD lol I started to come down with that back in 1989 I think when I was 14 or 15... started with my Ruger 10/22 folding stock and all that stuff making it look like an AR lol buying it mail order from Sportsman's Guild lol.... Then the big bad BAN came in, In NY black gun ='s bad guy. My 10/22 was fun back then but it jammed a lot with the cheap 50 rd mags. I guess I am reliving my youth with a bigger gun.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Looks like you hit the nail on the head, By word of mouth I was told today to bring my AR down to a town 20 miles away, There I will find a taxidermy/gun shop with a gentleman that builds AR's and that has much knowledge. To make it short he thinks it is a weak extractor also. The gentleman is going to fix and test fire it for $25 not bad.

Oh and if anyone near Cuba MO needs any taxidermy done head down to Cuba, The work I seen done in the shop looks really good and there display is awesome!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Gunner, i'm glad you bought the AR! i thought the price was decent and even at another $25 for the repair, you're still way ahead in your purchase. enjoy it!

another possibilty on the extractor, it could just need a very good cleaning. try a stiff nylon brush and some brake cleaner. on Bushmasters website, you can download the owners manual and it goes into detail about how the clean the extractor and the area around it. won't cost anything but a little time.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Gunner, i'm glad you bought the AR! i thought the price was decent and even at another $25 for the repair, you're still way ahead in your purchase. enjoy it!

another possibilty on the extractor, it could just need a very good cleaning. try a stiff nylon brush and some brake cleaner. on Bushmasters website, you can download the owners manual and it goes into detail about how the clean the extractor and the area around it. won't cost anything but a little time.
Thank you for the info, I need to invest in a good cleaning kit for this AR. Right now all I have is pistol kits. I have been looking on the net for one. I am going to look at the BM site now

Yes, The BM site was helpful. There is one other big investment I want to make for this AR, I need a nice case for it to bring to the range. I really think I may scare the neighbors lol like I care, I just don't want to scare any little kids while put this in my car.

Last edited by PlasticGunner; 05-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
Thank you for the info, I need to invest in a good cleaning kit for this AR. Right now all I have is pistol kits. I have been looking on the net for one. I am going to look at the BM site now

Yes, The BM site was helpful. There is one other big investment I want to make for this AR, I need a nice case for it to bring to the range. I really think I may scare the neighbors lol like I care, I just don't want to scare any little kids while put this in my car.
Gunner, check out Amazon.com, MidwayUSA, or Sportsmans Guide. i paid about $45 for mine. it made for an AR, has ammo pouches, handles and a shoulder strap. you should be able to find something to suit your needs without spending a fortune. also check WalMart, they sometimes will have some decent gun cases priced right.