Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 597 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

I have almost used steel cased ammo exclusively, since I bought my Makarov, and my SKS. The only ftf's I have had were due to wet ammo. I was tent camping one February, and it rained the whole week. I had about 6 ftf's with aluminum cased ammo, and 1 with the steel cased. Both had been loose in my rain jacket pocket. I have now used up all my steel cased ammo for the Mak, I have brass cased for both weapons also. I have only shot about 20 rounds of the brass cased through my SKS so I cannot compare them.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #22

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2092 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 6245

HiWall provided a link to a great article.

I think that it shows that the myths are generally true on reliability.

Image from http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/#/
Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation - AR-15 Discussion

It tells me that my important ammo should be Federal Brass or equivalent.

With that said, I'll still shoot steel on occasion. My .45 ACP likes it.
I don't like it because it's dirty and non-reloadable...
jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

I have a ton of steel case .223 for my mini 14. I've used steel cased in my revolver, but tend to avoid it in semi auto pistols that tend to be finicky by nature. It's just my experience though so take it with a grain of salt. As for it being dirty, so what. Clean your guns lol. The pmc .223 that I've shot is some of the dirtiest ammo I've ever ran. That pmc and the Winchester white box stuff is filthy but I don't really care. I'm not rich and I don't own a high end DI AR15 so im not worried about carbon build up from dirty ammo. I've said in other threads like this that the only problem I've had with steel ammo is a bad primer in some tulammo .223. I use hornady critical defense for sd and its steel cased and EXPENSIVE. Works fine in everything I've ever shot it out of.
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use either, whatever my wallet will allow me to buy, if I come across a box of brass for 8bucks and the steelcase next to it is 6bucks, ill buy the brass bcuz I can pick it up, but I did have a mini14 181series that wouldn't cycle steelcase Russian ammo, it would stovepipe every damn time,, but that gun was made in the u.s.a during our dispute with mother Russia, I just think it was a rascist gun and didn't like Russian stuff !!!!! But honestly Idc what kind of ammo it is, if its cheap and im putting it back for my stockpile ill take it, but I do use high dolla brass when im hunting or sighting a gun in

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #25

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

If my vendors say not to run steel case ammo or imported ammo with their product, they don't stay my vendors very long. The AR15/M16 platform was designed to be flexible with the type of ammo used, as you can't really predict the quality of ammo on the battlefield. I have found that the AR15's that are picky eaters of ammo have a .223 barrel instead of 5.56, regardless of what is stamped on them. Wish I had a reamer; I think I could make a killing getting 223 barrels to fire the steel rounds. I think this subject has run its course in multiple threads, because I believe all the arguments both pro and con have been presented. MJkeat and Billt got into a couple of flame wars over it. Many shooters who cannot afford anything more than the $450-$500 AR's being dumped on the market are finding the hard way their gun can't shoot the steel, so they blame the ammo. Those who have $1500-$4000 into their guns can't see putting anything but the best through their prize (many handload their ammo just to insure better quality), and those of us in between are just looking for cheap ammo to shoot and have fun with without breaking the bank. I can personally empathize with all three groups. I will say this: if an AR I built can't shoot it, then I find out why. It usually comes down to one of 3 malfunctions: 1. Barrel isn't 5.56. 2. Gas system malfunction. 3. Insufficient lube.
The Russian steel ammo does leave more residue. Do a quick cleanup at the range before you are done, and clean more thorough when you get home. That goes with brass or steel. If you have an AR that will not cycle the steel, don't use the steel. If you bought a buttload of steel ammo already, then you have a choice to make: sell the steel and buy some brass, or take action so that it will shoot the steel. In either situation, make your choice, and accept that others may not feel that your choice is best for them.

Last edited by fsted2a; 05-12-2014 at 10:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #26

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
If my vendors say not to run steel case ammo or imported ammo with their product, they don't stay my vendors very long. The AR15/M16 platform was designed to be flexible with the type of ammo used, as you can't really predict the quality of ammo on the battlefield. I have found that the AR15's that are picky eaters of ammo have a .223 barrel instead of 5.56, regardless of what is stamped on them. Wish I had a reamer; I think I could make a killing getting 223 barrels to fire the steel rounds. I think this subject has run its course in multiple threads, because I believe all the arguments both pro and con have been presented. MJkeat and Billt got into a couple of flame wars over it. Many shooters who cannot afford anything more than the $450-$500 AR's being dumped on the market are finding the hard way their gun can't shoot the steel, so they blame the ammo. Those who have $1500-$4000 into their guns can't see putting anything but the best through their prize (many handload their ammo just to insure better quality), and those of us in between are just looking for cheap ammo to shoot and have fun with without breaking the bank. I can personally empathize with all three groups. I will say this: if an AR I built can't shoot it, then I find out why. It usually comes down to one of 3 malfunctions: 1. Barrel isn't 5.56. 2. Gas system malfunction. 3. Insufficient lube.
The Russian steel ammo does leave more residue. Do a quick cleanup at the range before you are done, and clean more thorough when you get home. That goes with brass or steel. If you have an AR that will not cycle the steel, don't use the steel. If you bought a buttload of steel ammo already, then you have a choice to make: sell the steel and buy some brass, or take action so that it will shoot the steel. In either situation, make your choice, and accept that others may not feel that your choice is best for them.
Great comment. Could not agree more with you. Didn't want to start a back and forth either for the record, just had to vent before I blew a gasket on somebody.
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester Ranger 140 12g
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp
Glock 42
Glock 17 Gen 4

My deviled egg farts
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #27

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Biggest problem I've ever had with steel in my AR is failure to eject, the case is stuck in the chamber. This happens approx 2 in every 100 rounds of steel cased. Other than that I love the stuff.

Quick fix:
Remove the bolt, take an old .22 cleaning rod throw it down the barrel (make sure you don't have a hang fire/failure to fire before this), insert rod into case if possible, tap out case.
Eagle1803 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #28

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

To me having to remove two stuck cases out of every 100 rounds would not cause me to love the ammo. Two stuck cases out of 1000 would have me seriously examining both rifle and ammo, there is no way my positive shooting experience will be dependent upon my having a cleaning rod in my back pocket to beat out stuck cases.
None of my sixteen AR platforms have ever experienced a stuck case in many, many, many thousands of rounds (brass) and the only one to suffer any break down was the result of an improperly staked gas key allowing it to loosen and gas escape.
Failure is not acceptable be it ammo or weapon.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #29

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Honestly I haven't ever had a stuck cartridge in an AR. Did once on an m16 In basic. If you are getting stuck cartridges, something is wrong.
Davo45 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default No Issues with Steel Cases

I've been running steel case TulAmmo in my Glock 9mm's, a Sig M400, a Red Dot Arms AL-15 carbine and AK and haven't had the first stuck case in any of them out of thousands of rounds total. In fact, I've had no more problems of any kind with TulAmmo than I have with WWB or Federal bulk ammo (and that isn't much, maybe 1/1,000 rds).

I don't blast away to see how many rounds I can waste. This will cause steel cases to stick in carbine and pistol AR platforms. I do however run through several rifle and pistol drills engaging multiple targets with several rounds quickly (2-3 rifle & 3-5 pistol per target). I do clean my ARs after each range session, but not my AK or Glocks because they are no where near as high maintenance as ARs are.