Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation

I don't know it all. I don't claim to know a lot. I'm not an expert, and I'm not a super competitive shooter. I'm familiar with firearms and enjoy them, and I'm also not made of money. I clean my weapons everytime I shoot them. My name is Brock and I'm tired of hearing crap about steel cased ammunition.

Lmao, now that that's out of the way, why does EVERYONE repeat that steel cased ammunition is crap? I understand if you're squeezing the last MOA or 1/4MOA of accuracy out of your bench gun. But I swear, if I hear another freakin person at the range say you really shouldn't put steel cased ammo in your rifle, I'm gonna flip out on somebody haha. RO today said that. Well, considering I have my rifle set up for run and gun type stuff (Lightweight, RDS, CTR stock, etc....I'm probably not concerned as much with hitting a 2" steel plate at 4 gazillion yards. It is dirty. I get it. But it's not 50 bucks dirty. Because that's what I saved by shooting it instead of brass at the range today. It's unreliable. Riiiiiight. Maybe in your gun, with a barrel that you couldn't pull a greased string out of a cats butt with. If I can group 2" at 100 yards with it, because I care less inside of that, then who cares?

Here's the thing Mr. RO who wants to tell me how to run my damn rifle.....I've put probably 5000 rounds through mine, about 80% steel cased ammo, on courses, running it as hard as I know how to run it. I've never had ONE single malfunction. Not ONE. I know that I will have one one day. But that's pretty damn good to me so far, and I've saved enough money with the steel to buy another rifle if I want. It'll damage your extractor.....sure dude, and a loaf of bread with damage your car if you run over it. It's SOFTER STEEL. Rounds will get stuck in the chamber because of the lacquer coating. Um, not mine. Ran about 500-600 rounds through mine with a slidefire in about 45 minutes and smoke was pouring out of the handguards to the point where you couldn't hold it. I know, I know. But it's mine and I'll destroy it if I want.

I buy guns to shoot them. I buy guns to get BETTER shooting them. I'm no expert shooter, but I've come a long way since that first shot. So if mine have dings, scratches, dirt, oil, carbon, or anything else on them, so be it. Shows I don't take it in an indoor range, shoot 3 mags off a bench at 25 yards with some 80 dollar a box Hornady (good stuff, don't get me wrong, just not at 25 yards. Makes negligible difference) and call it a day. And then tell other people how to run their crap. Dude. That gun has never seen sunlight. STFU and shoot in your lane. Or stand there and watch from behind on your chair. I don't care, but let me live my life.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. I'd go buy a new barrel now but wait mine's still running. Guess I'll clean her. She's been bad.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19974 Times on 11355 Posts
Likes Given: 50386

honestly, my thoughts are somewhat similiar. if steel cased ammo works, run it!

some rifles may have problems with it, some won't. all i can say is try it out.

and as far as someone saying that steel cased ammo is unreliable, well, even brass cased ammo has problems as well, so that argument IMO isn't really valid.

and now Hornady is offering some calibers in match grade steel cased ammo.

and there are those who say steel cased ammo runs dirtier. well i have seen brass cased ammo that ran pretty dirty as well. which for most of us isn't that relevent as we tend to clean and maintain our guns anyway. right?

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Yes. Are people really that lazy that they need to run 4,000 rounds through their rifles without cleaning? If you're in Afganistan, I get it.

By the way, Winchester White Box come to mind when you say dirty brass. It dirties up my 9mm worse than Tula.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2820 Times on 1935 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Default Tired of the Steel cased Misinformation

On a Rifle for target or Hunting, or for SHTF,..yeah, no prob. I will use it if I need to keep running that Gun & Caliber. I do avoid it in Handguns, esp. My EDCC, but I have shot Steel Cased 9MM through my 9MM AR...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-07-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

I dont like it because it isnt reusable. People that use it tend to just leave it on the ground and aftr a bit it creates a huge mess. If they were using brass i could pick it up and use it for loading.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 631 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 406

They can keep the steel case ammo, just like Jon said you can't reload it.

Also I have seen it swell up in a rifle chamber....not good

If it was that good everybody would be buying it, and alot of people do because the price is cheaper, but people buy cheap tires for their car also, but not me.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

.................................................. ..

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/#/

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 631 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
.................................................. ..

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/#/
Hiwall, good post and thanks for the Info

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1770 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 353

I have never had an issue with steel case ammo in either a handgun or a rifle

I HAVE had aluminum cased 9mm cause problems (CZ 75, apparently very common)

Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #10

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Like many things, whether to use steel case ammo is just a personal decision that does not effect anyone but yourself. I see very little point in arguing about it. I choose not to use steel ammo. I made this decision based on absolutely nothing except my own personal feelings of bias against it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This