Time for Optics - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Time for Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Tons.

Aimpoint
Red dot
ACOG
Leupold's CQ/T - I think

And a few others that I have in my favorites at home, but can't remember. I will try to post a few for you this weekend, but yes, there are a lot of heads up options that aren't $500....

JD
JD..you da man! As always I apprecaite and value your input greatly.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No worries Double V - I expect to see you on my side of the lines when the Space Zombies come calling.

I'll get you some links, and possibly some prices if I still have the stuff from SHOT, this weekend...

JD

Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #13

i've been practicing the secret handshake

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can get Trijicon ACOGs from 1.5X all the way up to 6X depending on what distances you think you're going to be doing most of your shooting at.

Another option if you like the 1X CQB style sights is an EOTECH or an Aimpoint with a corresponding magnifier. This nice thing about this kind of setup is you can fund the 1X sight, and then come back later and buy the magnifier. They are not inexpensive, but this is one area where I feel like you get what you pay for. If you are thinking about taking your rifle into harms way then I would save for the best equipment I could afford that would be dependable. That might be a good set of irons for some people or an EOTECH with magnifier for others.

I also agree with JD about getting backup irons, either flip-up style or a fixed style that you co-witness with your optic. The rifle I am plotting out right now will probably have a fixed BUIS by Larue Tactical & an EOTECH 557.

This is the EOTECH with the EOTECH 3.5X Magnifier. It is on a quick transition, flip-to-the-side mount.

Here is the Aimpoint with the Aimpoint 3X magnifier:

Larue Tactical BUIS QD LT-103:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 03-29-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #15

I hope this isn't a stupid noob question, but what is the backup sight strategy with this EOTECH setup? It doesn't look like there is room for a flip up BUIS in the rear. I assume the magnifier is not electronic at all, so is the strategy that you just use the magnifier with the front BUIS in the event that the 557 fails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I also agree with JD about getting backup irons, either flip-up style or a fixed style that you co-witness with your optic. The rifle I am plotting out right now will probably have a fixed BUIS by Larue Tactical & an EOTECH 557.

This is the EOTECH with the EOTECH 3.5X Magnifier. It is on a quick transition, flip-to-the-side mount.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid noob question, but what is the backup sight strategy with this EOTECH setup? It doesn't look like there is room for a flip up BUIS in the rear. I assume the magnifier is not electronic at all, so is the strategy that you just use the magnifier with the front BUIS in the event that the 557 fails?
Not a stupid noob question, actually an excellent observation. I didn't even notice the lack of BUIS in photos that I included in a post that advocates a BUIS. I got caught dividing my attention, first talking about magnifiers and then about Backup Iron Sights, without thinking about the two at the same time.

If I was going to run the magnifier, I would mount a Troy flip-up BUIS at the back of the rail, then the magnifier, and then the reflex sight. It would look something like this:

Here's another good pic of a magnifier with a BUIS (it hasn't been flipped up). I'm going to link to it until I can get home and resize it.

Link: Aimpoint with magnifier and B.U.I.S.

Here is pic of the Troy Folding Rear Battle Sight FBSRA4:

Link: Larue Tactical: Troy Folding Battle Sight

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 03-30-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #17

Thanks, so it does all fit.

I have one of the Troy Diamondhead BUIS that I'm going to put on my AR build in anticipation of adding a reflex sight later down the road. Not sure yet if I'll want a magnifier, but good to know there's room if need be.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
Unfortunately I want both! hah

I want the ability to clear a room and then go to the range and shoot tight groups
You want something like this
Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope

If you go this route. spend the money on a decent mout like a larue LT-104 or a ADM mount.

I have both the Millet (with a LT-104 mount) and an Aimpoint M3 and they both work great at 100m. The Millet is primarily for use past 200m (three gun matches.

You will still be able to make solild tight group hit at 100m with an Eo-Tech/Aimpoint and some practice. Devolop the skill dont use an optic as a crutch.

-DM-

Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #19

How is the Millett different from Bighead's EOTech setup?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

necro post!!