Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > three RND burst?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default three RND burst?

Can I assemble my AR I'm planning on building to shoot three RND burst? The reason I ask is because the lower I think I'm gonna use has a third multi bullet selector switch location. BTW. I don't mean can I do it legally, but rather can I do it without any excessive wear or harm to the firearm ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

You can't do it legally. The third selector switch location is for looks only. You're safety selector won't switch around to the third location.

And chances are your receiver isn't machined for the auto-sear anyhow.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Broke,

As you mentioned! Yep that would first of all be illegal to manufacture a class III NFA Weapon which you would be doing. Also there is more to making a select fire weapon than just a selector switch. If for example the selector would go back to a location on the receiver where the normal select fire location would be. In most cases it would act like another Safe position for the rifle. This alone would not make the weapon into a select fire or three round burst rifle. It would require machining, pin placement locations and more. Including an Auto Sear and parts! Maybe fun to think about but a terrible idea if acted upon!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Throw enough money at any engineering project and you can make it work.

Just because an AR lower has paint on the side and a "third switch position" doesn't make it capable of firing multi or full auto. There are other relief and clearance cuts that are needed on the lower itself, special FFL (grey area) components and that pesky little "NFA of 1986" to worry about.

Unless you picked up a one of a kind lower from some Vietnam era storage house, I highly doubt someone has sold/given you a fully compliant lower that would faciliate the legal answer to your question.

JD

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

10-4 lol

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

There is no space inside your reciever for the fire control parts that will permit full auto or burst fire. If a gun will convert with nothing but "drop in" parts, BATF will be having words with you about the expression "readily convertable".

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

possessing a reciever that has been drilled and milled for dropping in FA parts is verbotten. dont do it. people who own registered drop in auto sears can only have one reciever at a time as such if it requires drilling or milling to fit the legally owned kit. some registered nfa rdias (registered drop in auto sears) drop in without major machine work.

but you cant legally purchase three round burst parts without a tax stamp. no supplier will sell them to you without proof of ownership of a registered nfa firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

any way 3 round burst if fun for about one or two magazines unless your made of $. even when I was shooting in the military it translated into how much extra ammo I had to carry and load.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttessnc
any way 3 round burst if fun for about one or two magazines unless your made of $. even when I was shooting in the military it translated into how much extra ammo I had to carry and load.
Like the Sgt says burst/full auto is fun for awhile but those rounds will add up. On more of a practical/tactical approach, depending on your control of the muzzle rise, how many rounds are going to hit an intended target? When comparing speed(rate of fire) and number of hits on target, semi-auto is a better choice.