Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reference my previous post, one of the things that has been delaying me from making my VCAS into a single point convertible is the connection point. I see several of you using the QD swivels, and I'm curious how well they function and how durable they are. I've been trying to decide between HK style snap hooks, mash hooks, or QD swivels for the front sling connection.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on rear connections. I know I need to locate my connection behind the receiver to make my sling convertible, but not sure what connection I would like best. I would like to hear any thoughts about loop and hook attachments, the Magpul ASAP, QD swivel attachments like CHLChris shows, and Burnsed loops.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #42

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

QD swivels work great for me. I like the limited travel QDs most.

An HK hook might be faster if you plan on switching back and forth from 2 -1 and vise versa. Magpul makes a connection point for the rail system. Most use it off of the top rail and just snap their hook into it. The ASAP is alright, it'll get the job done.

You could do a QD off of the rear of the receiver and a snap hook for the front connector on the sling.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #43

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The main reason I went with QD's was ease of utility. I don't keep the sling attached in the safe, but I want my AR to be deployable under a minute. The QD's help with that. Other attachment types can be as quick but also can be jingly. There is nothing jingly about a QD setup!

One must make sure that the rear attachment point is high enough above the center axis to keep the rifle in the correct orientation. Some stock QD points seem a couple inches lower on that axis than an end plate QD.

My 2 cents.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #44

Default Single point vs. reg. sling

Go with the single point. Do not use a wolf hook. Set it up so the sling is mounted on the butt stock. Is this for military use? I always used single point and most in my unit adopted it for the main reason that if you had one arm wounded you just shifted the weapon to the other arm immediately. No disconnecting from a wolf hook and not switching shoulders with a 2 point sling. The shift was immediate and you could keep laying out rounds. If not in combat situations then do what you feel is more comfortable. 2 point slings can allow you to have your weapon aiming out while at rest on your shoulder.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #45

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbennett
Go with the single point. Do not use a wolf hook. Set it up so the sling is mounted on the butt stock. Is this for military use? I always used single point and most in my unit adopted it for the main reason that if you had one arm wounded you just shifted the weapon to the other arm immediately. No disconnecting from a wolf hook and not switching shoulders with a 2 point sling. The shift was immediate and you could keep laying out rounds. If not in combat situations then do what you feel is more comfortable. 2 point slings can allow you to have your weapon aiming out while at rest on your shoulder.
Holy necrophilia Batman.

You don't need to switch the sling around to shoot off- hand.

You are correct in it depends on what you're using it for. If you're going to be moving around the 2 can be more secure.

It all comes down to personal preference.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #46

Likes Given: 8

I work in Law Enforcement and have a single point on my AR I use at work. I have a 2 point on my shotgun. I know guys who have use 1 point and love it and guys who hate them. I guess there are pros and cons to all the different slings, 1, 2, and 3 point slings. I suppose it comes down to personal preference, what your comfortable with, and maybe what you are using it for. Best of luck though and happy shooting!!

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Second star to the right...and straight on 'til morning.
-James Kirk

Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

I like the three point for "general use."

But a two point can be useful for in vehicle use.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I got a single point, mainly because I got it for like $12. But I don't really have the need for a sling truthfully as I don't carry my AR daily. The most use I get is an evening at the range.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #49

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

made my own. it's a 2 point, but works like a single point....if that makes sense...

Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Paracord--the savior of the world when something needs to be affixed.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr