Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

$150 is it really that expensive? I never realized I was spending that kind of money on slings and attachments

Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #32

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
$150 is it really that expensive? I never realized I was spending that kind of money on slings and attachments
I was wondering that too. My VTAC padded sling was $37, the IWC Mount-N-Slot $16, and two Vltor QD swivels were $32 or $85 total. But I already had the MOE handguard and CTR stock so haven't counted them.

Maybe I should at least add about $35 for the upgrade from the MOE buttstock to CTR to get the QD mount. Or $25 for the Noveske QD end plate. Guess if you add that in and the MOE handguard you're knocking on the door of $150. Sheesh this stuff adds up fast!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I was wondering that too. My VTAC padded sling was $37, the IWC Mount-N-Slot $16, and two Vltor QD swivels were $32 or $85 total. But I already had the MOE handguard and CTR stock so haven't counted them.

Maybe I should at least add about $35 for the upgrade from the MOE buttstock to CTR to get the QD mount. Or $25 for the Noveske QD end plate. Guess if you add that in and the MOE handguard you're knocking on the door of $150. Sheesh this stuff adds up fast!
No kidding. Its a little scary lol. Glad the wife doesnt price this stuff

Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My sling was 85.00 and that was just for the strap no hard ware or nothing. but it is hand crafted leather.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn View Post
My sling was 85.00 and that was just for the strap no hard ware or nothing. but it is hand crafted leather.
Sounds like a nice sling. To nice for an AR. Well, at least for one of mine the way I treat them.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #36

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I could just get a $10 sling and attach it to my underside points, but we're talking increased utility if I do these upgrades. Yes, it does add up. Handguard, sling, rear plate, handguard attachment point, 2 quick-release swivel heads, plus SHIPPING, and the total could be closer to $200, but $150 is possible.

I'm blown away by the good deal of those Magpul MOE handguards. They aren't free-float, but I really don't feel like messing with my gas block. My skills are not up to it yet. But the rear plate is easy because I'm the one that built the whole lower to begin with.

Thanks to y'all encouraging me and helping me at every turn!!

Props around!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #37

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I'm also very pleased with the MOE handguards. If you have the round endcap they fit super tight, no slop at all (not quite as good with triangular endcaps). Actually I've been extremely impressed with every Magpul component I've installed. The CTR fits super tight too, so no slop at the rear either.

And the MOE pistol grip feels real good, the MBUS rear flip sight fits tight and holds zero just fine. And of course all my PMAGs are reliable and drop free from my S&W lower (there were problems with earlier PMAGs but not the ones I got).

Magpul is good stuff, fits tight, is tough and the price is right. Hard to beat.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #38

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Sling purchased, installed

I posted here, too, since the ideas y'all helped me with ended up on my rifle. I posted the whole story on my build thread HERE.

I chose to go with the Blue Force Vickers VCAS padded 2-point sling. I attached it using QD points on the end plate and a new MOE handguard. Here's a photo:

Thanks for the help!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #39

Looks like a good setup. Nice rifle BTW!
Good job on the build Chris....

Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like a great setup. I can't say enough good about my Vickers VCAS slings.

Now, something I'm considering that would also work for you is the new IWC Push Button Triglide from Blue Force Gear. The Triglide slides on the sling near the rear attachment, and becomes an attachment point for your front QD swivel, converting your sling to single point.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill