Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah I've considered just going with the large ties though they were intended to be temporary. After cutting the ends and melting them to be too big to come loose I think two of them are a pretty permanent sling mount. But then what do I do with my Mount-N-Slots?
Send'em to me . Ive had 5 or 6 of them and have been impressed w/ each and every order. From the packaging to the hand written thank yous to the great product itself.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like the way we used to carry ARs/M-16s in Viet Nam. You took 2 pieces of paracord to make the sling attach to the rifle. One part of the paracord went through the front sight. The second and longer part of paracord went around the butt and rear sling swivel on the rifle. Then you took your actual sling ends and tied them off to the front and rear paracord loops. The sling drapes over the rear of your neck and the rifle hangs down in front of your chest.

When you need to use the rifle you simply bring it up to your shoulder, set it in place and engage your target. That was a comfortable way to carry your rifle over long distances in the hot, humid sun and it was ready to go to work when needed.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #23

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Because of my sling mounts on the bottom, I'm considering switching it up and going with side mounts. This is the way I'm thinking of going...what do y'all think?

Daniel Defense RH End Plate Slot for the rear point.

Magpul MOE handguard, with a 5-slot MOE picatinny rail, and a Midwest picatinny swivel for the front point.

Then the sling would be a Vickers Combat 2-point sling.

This whole set-up will cost about $160.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Impact Weapons Components

Impact Weapons Components

Impact Weapons Components Your MOE HG can be modified to except this mount. Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE - M4Carbine.net Forums

Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #25

This is much more elegant than the rail/sling swivel pairing. I would still be going with the MOE handguard and the DD end plate.

Thanks for this idea, mj.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #26

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

The MOE handguard and VCAS Sling are great choices, Chris. I'm very happy with the midlength MOE on my latest build and the VTAC 2-point sling I just got (the VCAS is very much like it and both are highly recommended choices).

As much as I like Daniel Defense, their aluminum end plates bother me. For such a high stress small part I'd rather have steel and for about the same price you could get the Noveske QD end plate Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Carbine Sling Mounts | Noveske QD End Plate I have two of these and they're very well made. Of course order a heavy duty QD swivel to go along with it (and one for the front mount too if you need it).

For a low profile QD attachment to the MOE handguard take a look at the new IWC Mount-N-Slot MJKEAT and I have been talking about. He has links above. Like him I'm impressed with this tiny but very strong mount. Very professional touch to the MOE and eliminates the need for the rail section and high profile QD mount.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The MOE is a nice looking rail for a great price. I have a mid and a rifle length MOE sitting in my parts box waiting for a Dissy and another Lightweight. Sometimes I question myself for going back to school , no not so much.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a few rifles and i only have 1 sling on any of them. It is just a simple affair that goes over the shoulder. I never have put much thought into a sling.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #29

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn View Post
I have a few rifles and i only have 1 sling on any of them. It is just a simple affair that goes over the shoulder. I never have put much thought into a sling.
I've been thinking along those lines, just get my other AR set up with QD mounts like my Daniel Defense, then I can quickly move one VTAC between them. But knowing me I'm gonna get a VCAS instead. I just gotta know which is better, then move it to the DD. The ArmaLite gets sloppy seconds.

One thing about slings, if you have a lot of rifles they take up a lot of room in the safe so I'd rather have a quick way to remove them so they don't snag and give me grief. Right now I don't have my SKS and M44 in the safe but if I stored all the slings outside the safe they'd fit. I knew I shouda got that bigger safe...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #30

And with Quentin's idea, I'd have a quick release on both ends of the 2-point sling.

Very elegant. Now...where to find $150 for this setup. Hmmmmm...