Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on single point vs multi point sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have mine the same, for the same reasons. Also having the front sling mount to the rear of the handguard keeps it clear of my left hand, it takes a little practice to keep it clear of mag changes, but is easilly overcome.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #12

Liked 1794 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

I like using a single point. I am planning on starting 3 gun competitions. I like being able to simply let go of my AR when it is empty to grab my 1911. I am 6'2" so length is not a problem.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Bushman, what are those mounts? Both of them look like you bolted them on somehow. They both look 3rd party. The handguard one doesn't look like it is on a picatinny rail, bit I could be wrong. The stock one appears to be added after the fact, not a part of the original stock. LEt me know more.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #14

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Chris you definitely can't use the standard bottom sling mounts, you'll want side/top mounts for exactly the reason you were concerned about.

It looks like Bushman's buttstock had a QD mount already installed and he just snapped in a HD QD swivel - which is what I did with my Magpul CTR. On the front it's hard to see but I'm pretty sure he's got a rail mounted QD mount. Of course he'll tell you first hand...

I just installed a VTAC 2-point last night, much the same as MJKEAT's LaRue which I think is a VTAC with LaRue QD swivels. My front mount is farther forward though, close to the FSB. I'm still experimenting where I want to mount in the front so I'm just using a couple 12" pull ties on my MOE handguard. When I figure it out I'll cut a hole for the IWC Mount-N-Slot which gives you a QD mount. (This mount probably would work on a plastic buttstock that doesn't have a QD mount - and of course there are other solutions). I'm using the CTR's mount of course...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-30-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Bushman, what are those mounts? Both of them look like you bolted them on somehow. They both look 3rd party. The handguard one doesn't look like it is on a picatinny rail, bit I could be wrong. The stock one appears to be added after the fact, not a part of the original stock. LEt me know more.
The front mount is in the factory hole of the Sampson Star-C Quad rail that came with my Stag 2T. The rear mount is a Magpul ACS™ QD Swivel Sling Mount *link*

The sling has QD sling swivels on each end as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The Larue did come w/ the QD swivels sewn in like Quentin mentioned. THe Vickers have a similar option as well.

IWC mounting options are top notch. I have a few of their items. They have a system that will mount on Magpuls MOE line w/ no modification. They also have a system that sits flush with the MOE HG but requires a little modification.

The wire tie trick works great until you get the sling just right.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
...The wire tie trick works great until you get the sling just right.
Ah geez, and here I am thinking I thought this one up all by myself. Was gonna use 550 cord or shoe laces but then saw the long ties in the garage...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Ah geez, and here I am thinking I thought this one up all by myself. Was gonna use 550 cord or shoe laces but then saw the long ties in the garage...
We've used it in the past on OE style Colt M4 stocks but in a permanent manner. So actually you did think that one up yourself.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I have mine the same, for the same reasons. Also having the front sling mount to the rear of the handguard keeps it clear of my left hand, it takes a little practice to keep it clear of mag changes, but is easilly overcome.

Thats a nice table is that Oak.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
We've used it in the past on OE style Colt M4 stocks but in a permanent manner. So actually you did think that one up yourself.
Yeah I've considered just going with the large ties though they were intended to be temporary. After cutting the ends and melting them to be too big to come loose I think two of them are a pretty permanent sling mount. But then what do I do with my Mount-N-Slots?

______