Thoughts on DPMS? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on DPMS?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum05
Well i have a BM carbon but i had to send it in to BM because i had an issue with the top rail coming loose and im debating on gettting my $ back.. I found the dpms but i also found a S.W. optics ready for $780.00 not sure what to go with. As far as what i plan on using it for, hunting, target ect.
Dpms makes good AR's. Sometimes the the fore stock looks a lil cheap but they shoot good for the price range.
That being said, I would go for the s&w. Its better for the price, but to my understanding m&p15's arnt milspec.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I heard good things about DPMS.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #23

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

.308 DPMSs. Only tho.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6611 Times on 3684 Posts
Likes Given: 6272

I have a DPMS LR308 M-4 in 7.62X51. Well over 1000 rounds of ball ammo. No problems.

The M-4 version in .223, DPMS AP-15,M4 is the official issue patrol rifle of the Wyoming highway Patrol.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have a DPMS LR308 M-4 in 7.62X51. Well over 1000 rounds of ball ammo. No problems.

The M-4 version in .223, DPMS AP-15,M4 is the official issue patrol rifle of the Wyoming highway Patrol.
I have all the respect in the world for officers of the law or anyone willing to put it all on the line for what's right and just. My cousins a CO. State Trooper and I'm an AJ major and will be putting an application in for the KS. State Troopers this month depending on my schooling. I have 1 semester left and may just finish so I have a degree. I'm a combat vet as well.

That said I know a little about patrol/issued rifles. They rarely get used outside of yearly quals, Infantry not included. It may not be true for your department but it is the norm. Therefore there's not a lot of weight behind saying it is a patrol rifle.

Who ok'd the purchase of your patrol rifles? The bean counting suits sitting in their offices all day? I'm willing to bet so. They don't know **** nor do they care, in general, about the well being of their states officers in all reality. What they do care about is the bottom line; spending, tax dollars and budgets.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #26

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

locutus, sorry to say to you that everything mjkeat said above is true. The DPMS "M4" was not the best choice for the State of Wyoming but no doubt it was a low bid.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's sad because the guys on the street are the ones who need the most support. I was very impressed when my city placed an order for a decent amount of Colts last year. IMO it's a good sign. Good equipment makes a difference.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #28

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
It's sad because the guys on the street are the ones who need the most support. I was very impressed when my city placed an order for a decent amount of Colts last year. IMO it's a good sign. Good equipment makes a difference.
Hell the issued rifle at the sheriff office that i worked at was surplus POS burnt up mini 14s and inside the magazine was ammo with "green" brass because it had sat around so long. Needless to say,my own rifle went into my patrol car

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

heres my "uneducated" thoughts on this....

I have been doing research on AR 's for a couple months now, as i am in the market for one.

Outside of the half dozen naysayers here, i have read exactly 1 bad review about the DPMS AR. (oracle NOT sporter)

In comparison, i have read WAY many more negative reviews about the Remington 700 and the Remington 870 respectively...both FINE boom sticks in their own right.

This leads me to believe the DPMS isnt all that bad a unit.

I will be buying a DPMS with confidence....unless of course i come across as good a deal on a Daniel Defense, Stag or similar weapon @ the Indy 1500 March 17th.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Hell the issued rifle at the sheriff office that i worked at was surplus POS burnt up mini 14s and inside the magazine was ammo with "green" brass because it had sat around so long. Needless to say,my own rifle went into my patrol car
Scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
heres my "uneducated" thoughts on this....

I have been doing research on AR 's for a couple months now, as i am in the market for one.

Outside of the half dozen naysayers here, i have read exactly 1 bad review about the DPMS AR. (oracle NOT sporter)

In comparison, i have read WAY many more negative reviews about the Remington 700 and the Remington 870 respectively...both FINE boom sticks in their own right.

This leads me to believe the DPMS isnt all that bad a unit.

I will be buying a DPMS with confidence....unless of course i come across as good a deal on a Daniel Defense, Stag or similar weapon @ the Indy 1500 March 17th.
Where are you doing your "research" because it's not hard to find negative information on DPMS.

I guess it all depends on if you really want to "see" it. Kinda like the g/f that doesn't want to listen to her friends talk negatively about her cheating b/f.

A DPMS might be perfect for you. It just depends on how much shooting you're going to do and how much you value your time and money.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Closed Thread