Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on DPMS?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Of course I would look at other models in the same price bracket. Why wouldn't I? I'm the one who's been saying there isn't that much difference between brands. I'm not a brand slave to anything I buy, if features and price are equal. There is no reason to be. I own a total of 11 different AR-15 platform rifles from 5 different manufacturers. How much more diversified do you want me to get? How many do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
No, you're the one that said they are all the same and that is why the thread took the turn it did.
Quote:
Well Einstein, it's taken 18 pages, but you're finally starting to catch on. How about that!

You said they are the "same" now you're cliaming they are differences b/w manufacturers. Which is it?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/290025/interchangeable-parts

"Interchangeable parts, identical components that can be substituted one for another, particularly important in the history of manufacturing."

I can take the bolt out of my Bushmaster, and put it into my Colts, and it will run. For that to happen Einstein, they have to be the same.

The thread "took a turn" simply because you are having difficulty understanding that. This, in spite of the fact both I, and now YOU have posted it several times. Just like the rest of your questions you post over and over, the answers are there. But in order to find them, YOU HAVE TO READ. You're having difficulty doing that because you are too consumed with your own bull$h!t.

Quote:
This argument has been going on for the last 18 pages. I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it. Unless you know exactly where all of these AR-15 manufacturers purchase their components from, which you do not, you have absolutely zero idea of what the quality level is of any of them. As I pointed out both Colt and Stag Arms are supplied with bolts manufactured by CMT. CMT also supplies other manufacturers with many of the same parts. Based on that how are you possibly going to tell me a bolt out of a Colt is any better than from a Stag Arms? You cannot, period.
It's been said multiple times by guys w/ manufacturing experience myself included. When purchasing parts from a supplier you can specify different levels of quality. Some places that ordered parts from us wanted to do so on the cheap. Everyone in the plant knew what each customer wanted and managers made it clear as well. When parts came across my desk from a company that required the highest tolerances they received extra care. All of us knew who these customers were as well and the managers made it clear that they expected higher standards in machining, assembly and inspection.

So regardless of where the parts come from there are going to be variations in quality control, even from the came distributor.

No you have your tap dance shoes on, just like the DPMS rep I had a conversation w/, and have continually side step questions and now you're contradicting yourself. Did you forget what side of the discussion you were on?

I am more than capable of understanding the topic at hand. I don't think you have the experience or know-how to distiguish the difference in quality. This is why you insist there isn't one. It's not your fault you don't know what you don't know. There's nothing wrong w/ asking questions if you don't know the answer, people are here to help.

It is quite humorous reading your insults all while you're giving out incorrect information.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #182

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 930

billt, you keep saying parts are interchangeable and one brand is as good as another... So are you saying a Vulcan AR would likely be as reliable as a Colt? You're saying parts are the same so why pay Bushmaster prices when you can undercut with Vulcan/Blackthorne/Hesse/fill in the blank.

As mjkeat mentioned before there are different levels of QA demanded by different customers. If a manufacturer has a bunch of AR bolts that are unacceptable to one customer, where do those rejected parts go? Well there's a good chance they won't be scrapped if someone like Vulcan will buy them. Of course some of the parts will function acceptably in a low end gun but some will have real problems.

There is a testing and sorting/binning process with parts made of quality materials. The best go to the best. Some that are rejected for minor issues are sold to mid-tier names, some are flat out rejected and where do those parts go? Also there are low quality parts from the get-go, do they end up in many Colts? How about Vulcan? And brands in between.

No one's saying DPMS is junk, but I like to aim higher.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #183

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

And this thread has gone on 19 pages?

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #184

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

No, YOU PROVE YOURSELF RIGHT. You can't do it. No how no way, and you know it. That's why you're trying to reverse this whole thing. You're the one who said so many of these weapons were "better" because they were all made with "better parts".

Come to find out you don't have a clue where these parts manufactured, by whom their made, or what quality level they are made to. In short you know nothing. Just as you did when you started out.
Yep, continue to avoid the questions.

If you remember this all started when you claimed that all ARs are the same so the burden of proof lies on you but you don't seem to be able to come up with anything except some lame video.

School me. Who makes the barrels for each company? BCG? LPK? Which receiver extension is best? Will steel ammo run in my AR? Does gas port size vary or are they all the same? Does port size matter? Does the wobble between recivers effect function or accuracy?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #185

Quote:
Jesus Christ does the mindless speculation ever stop with you people? Ever? More total bull$h!t you will not, and cannot substantiate with any fact what so ever. You just keep digging yourself in deeper. "Unacceptable parts". "Where do those parts go?" "They won't be scrapped if......" "There is a good chance someone like XYZ will buy them".

You people write more fiction than Stephen King! The only difference is at least his stuff is entertaining. I've never read such silly drivel in my entire life! All of this is for what? To try and prove some silly, stupid, abstract point you could not prove when you started out, and are even further from proving now. With each and every post your claims get more far fetched, and less imaginative. Give it up. You're like that Italian cruise ship captain. You might as well get off the boat because you're not going anywhere except down.
With all this hostility, I am surprised that a moderator hasn't shut this thread down by now.

Last edited by fsted2a; 02-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Then prove us wrong. You obviously have no experience or inside knowledge so show us some proof that all the parts are the same and are all just as reliable as the next. Show us that bottom feeders don't take the rejected parts from higher quality companies. Show us where the rejected parts go. Show us as we are more interested in the truth than some agenda.

MJ, you are showing a lot of restraint.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #187
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 333

posts in this thread that were deleted were either cause of the disturbance, responded in turn adding to the problem, or quoted deleted posts. if the same sort of fighting continues in a new thread or an existing one folks will be riding pine for a few days to think about it.

if you want to snipe at each other do it in private messages. if some one irritates the hell out of you put em on ignore.

preffered method of handling obnoxious behaviour is report the post and a mod will get to it and deal with it in fairly short order. we dont read all the postings and often will only see stuff like this if it is reported.

this thread has run it's course and its done. please start a fresh one if you want to continue the discussion in a respectable manner

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Closed Thread