Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thoughts on DPMS? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thoughts-dpms-56659/)

magnum05 01-30-2012 11:23 PM

Thoughts on DPMS?

Like to get some thoughts and opinions on the DPMS AR 15's before i decide on it.. Found one brand new with red dot for $719.00. Like to know if they are good ar's or not

Quentin 01-30-2012 11:26 PM

Not real good, especially with red dot for $719...

What do you plan to do with an AR? How many rounds a year? If very little then the DPMS would work out.

Belltactical 01-30-2012 11:29 PM

I've got an older one with the 20inch bull. Just shot the 1/4 inch top off a Gatorade bottle with a scope on top of the carry handle and have not had any issues since new. Someone recently posted some negatives on the DPMS so maybe the "newer" ones aren't up to the same build/parts quality as the older ones.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

JTJ 01-31-2012 12:15 AM

I have a 16" DPMS and while I dont have a huge amount of rounds through it, it has not malfunctioned. I guesstimate in the vicinity of 1500 rounds of mostly 55 grn. I did try some 45 grn with no problem. It is pretty accurate with hand loads. I recently ran 40 rounds of Wolf 55 grn through it with no problems. I dont expect MOA with military or Win white box but it is capable with my handloads.

BullseyePrecision 01-31-2012 12:31 AM

Dpms is second in ar15 only to bushmaster in sales and I havent heard anything bad on dpms.

magnum05 01-31-2012 12:41 AM

Well i have a BM carbon but i had to send it in to BM because i had an issue with the top rail coming loose and im debating on gettting my $ back.. I found the dpms but i also found a S.W. optics ready for $780.00 not sure what to go with. As far as what i plan on using it for, hunting, target ect.

Quentin 01-31-2012 12:44 AM

The S&W optics ready is a much better AR than DPMS. They also have the Sport that competes pricewise with the low end DPMS. Both don't have a dust cover and forward assist.

magnum05 01-31-2012 01:06 AM

maybe i should just stick with the bushy and see how it goes.. After all i got a 3yr warranty..i wouldnt mind buying another ar but I would want one with a 20" brl but not sure what manufacture to go with..
@ Quentin not to sure about the S.W. sport i just saw a video on here that it blew up lol

JoshX3Magazine 01-31-2012 01:26 AM

I've owned my DPMS AR for...I dunno...3 years or so now and even with the cheapest ammunition, it's functioned flawlessly. No jams, no failures of any kind. Granted, I use mine for "recreational" purposes, but like I said, no malfunctions at all. I'd buy another DPMS in a heartbeat were I on the AR market.

Josh

TimKS 01-31-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 694379)
Not real good, especially with red dot for $719...

What do you plan to do with an AR? How many rounds a year? If very little then the DPMS would work out.

I would like to hear some reasons for your somewhat negative review of the DPMS AR with a red dot. :confused:

Sure, there are better rifles out there, but they are more costly also. IMHO the DPMS is a fine rifle for that money. :cool: