You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Thoughts and comments on the Olympic Arms AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

that you would have to contact them about. call 1-800-228-3471

Old 11-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #12

I've had a couple oly lowers ... the fit to any other upper was extremely tight ... tight enough that I would have to set it on the edge of my bench and press down on the upper to get the rear pin to line up. It was nice that it didn't rattle but I always worried about the stress it was putting on the receiver pin holes.

I've heard of a couple problems with the "Plinker" models. Over on the now defunct AK forums, one of the mods had bought one for his daughter, she was shooting it when the barrel came apart from the upper receiver ... no kaboom, the threads that hold the barrel to the upper just broke off and IIRC he said something like, she was getting ready to shoot and she turned to him and she had the barrel in one hand and the rest of the rifle in the other. He returned it to Oly, they replaced the upper and sent it back no questions asked - he didn't shoot it just got rid of it at the next show or something.
The other thing I've heard is the back of the lower receiver that the rear extension/buffer tube screws into has broken off the receiver, I've seen a couple complaints of this ... all of these complaints were limited to the Plinker which was a cheaper made version of their standard model.
I've only heard of these instances on other forums, I've never seen it in person and don't personally know anyone that ever owned a Plinker ... I don't want to spread Internet rumors but its something to be aware of.

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

Ive never heard of anything like that and havr my doubts about it but thats my opinion. I am going to check with some people I know that have been using them for a long time and a couple of them work for them, i cant see any company in this day with all the liability suits going on that they would do this. I have heard they had some issues years ago with QC but that has been taken care of. I will see what I can find out or you might go to thier forum and ask some of the guys on it.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4984 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 2438

I have heard of this area of the receiver being cracked but never coming apart! I think that is a little far fetched if you know what I mean!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't say I would doubt any type of failure in anything man-made. I recently watched the result of shooting reloads in a Springfield Armory XDM-40- was not pretty, but I haven't gotten rid of my XD.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4984 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 2438

I am an avid re-loader! However more weapons have been damaged or destroyed by mistakes or negligent reloading than for any other reason. You can not blame the weapon for these situations. Most of the mistakes are caused by a severe case of cranial rectitis!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #17

well i was thinking about it and i figure it will depend on the individual gun becuase i have seen colts and smith and wessons that where junk and jammed every round and i have seen off brand guns that would fire every round so im starting to think its more about that individual gun more than anything els becuase each gun is different there are no two guns that are the same they all put wear on the parts different and everything els so im not to worried about it

Old 11-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #18

Thank you 1bigtarge, you brought out the point that I have tried to make on several forums just because you got a bad one doesnt mean they are all bad.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #19

yes, i would think of bad reloads' b4 i'ed blame the weapon' ... as whtsmoke says, they not all bad...
lowers, for AR's are exactly that... a lower.
dont mater who made em. an AR is an AR... is a AR.
i roll my own now' but ANY AR can be upgraded.

i putt a BCM carrier n' bolt , and a tubbs carbine spring in a DPMS, and it runs like a sewing machine.

olympic arms are all forged now. nothings been made cast, for many years.
my next rifle. ? if i was to ever buy one. and not build it myself, i'ed buy the olympic plinker 20'' rifle, with the A1 sights.
to me, thats ''perfection'' a rifle with oly's [great barrels] rifle gas system, and set and forget A1 sights.

my .0000000002 cents worth of opinion...

peabody.

Last edited by peabody; 11-29-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ??????????????/

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #20

Peabody I have a PP in the 16 inch bbl and its a blast, and I dont think that groups of an inch at 50 yards with iron sights are to bad.