Thoughts on CMMG AR's?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on CMMG AR's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thoughts on CMMG AR's?

I have recently discovered the company. I am looking to purchase my first AR style rifle and want one suitable for varmint hunting as well as tactical "fun". CMMG seems good. Any ideas or suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here's what you'll get asked.

Budget you have for the firearm?

You've covered the usage.

Experience with them? (i.e. build/pre-built).

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerw289
I have recently discovered the company. I am looking to purchase my first AR style rifle and want one suitable for varmint hunting as well as tactical "fun". CMMG seems good. Any ideas or suggestions?
I've only handled one at the LGS, but I'll give you my impressions based on that limited exposure...

Aesthetically, it seemed ok. Not great, but ok. I performed a standard function test, and every moving part involved had a very "grainy" feel to it.

I handed it back to the guy.

Obviously, that's not an in-depth review, but it was enough for me. If others own and like them, I'm sure you'll hear their thoughts shortly.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Here's what you'll get asked.

Budget you have for the firearm?

You've covered the usage.

Experience with them? (i.e. build/pre-built).
I don't want to spend much more than $1200. I don't have any experience with them. I have an older, much older, AR style 22. But I have never owned or fired an AR in 5.56 nato or any other chambering. This is new territory and I am excited to get started.

If I could build it cheaper, I would have no idea where to start. I love to "tinker" and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so building wouldn't be a problem. Just don't know where to start or what to buy. Buying parts over time would definitely take the "sting" out of the initial purchase and would always make the Mrs. happy.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerw289 View Post
I don't want to spend much more than $1200. I don't have any experience with them. I have an older, much older, AR style 22. But I have never owned or fired an AR in 5.56 nato or any other chambering. This is new territory and I am excited to get started.

If I could build it cheaper, I would have no idea where to start. I love to "tinker" and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so building wouldn't be a problem. Just don't know where to start or what to buy. Buying parts over time would definitely take the "sting" out of the initial purchase and would always make the Mrs. happy.
If you have 1,200, I wouldn't bother with the CMMG. For that, you can get a very nice set up from http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
I built my lower, as they are very simple to do, but you can order the upper from BCM, as well as a completed lower, snap them together and you're in business.
Agent Tikki has a sticky at the top of this section of the forum, and is definitely a must read for anyone looking to build their first. He, mjkeat, Quentin and Dog will be along shortly to chime in, but I'd build my own lower, and order a completed upper from BCM, as well as a good BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) and charging handle.
Finishing my first build, and those guys advice was crucial to me saving money and getting what I wanted.
I did mine for about 900, including shipping and handling.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Liked 263 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
If you have 1,200, I wouldn't bother with the CMMG. For that, you can get a very nice set up from http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
I built my lower, as they are very simple to do, but you can order the upper from BCM, as well as a completed lower, snap them together and you're in business.
Agent Tikki has a sticky at the top of this section of the forum, and is definitely a must read for anyone looking to build their first. He, mjkeat, Quentin and Dog will be along shortly to chime in, but I'd build my own lower, and order a completed upper from BCM, as well as a good BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) and charging handle.
Finishing my first build, and those guys advice was crucial to me saving money and getting what I wanted.
I did mine for about 900, including shipping and handling.
Agreed; you can get a pretty nice setup for 1200 bucks, and a little ammo to boot depending on your dealer.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

If I'd had 1,200, I'd have a nice red dot on top of mine.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7289 Times on 4029 Posts
Likes Given: 7064

For $1200 you can get a Colt!

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Take a few minutes and let me know if you have any questions!

If you are not adverse to building (I highly recommend this option!) check out Quentin's sticky about AR roll marks,
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/
Most milspec forged lowers are all the same (so long as all the dimensions are in spec). So find and choose a roll mark that you like!
You have a good budget and you don't have to scrimp or scrounge on the lowest priced parts! Half the fun in building is finding what you want!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If I had $1200 to spend it would be on a Colt 6920 or BCM LW or standard w/ blem lower.

The only experience I've had w/ CMMG was w/ their dedicated .22 which has a rail that doesn't seem quite right because of the way the optics mount sits on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."