Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thoughts on CMMG? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thoughts-cmmg-3150/)

SimonTuffGuy 01-29-2008 01:23 AM

Thoughts on CMMG?

Anyone have input on their ARs? I found a site that has a "bargain bin" special for them... They say lowers are a mix of CMMG, DPMS, and Doublestar. Complete setup for $570 and $15 shipping.

I've seen a bunch of people order them from another site I'm on and have been very pleased... This is my first AR and I'm really not sure what I'm going for.

Every review I've read for CMMG has been really good.

Just thinking that for under $600 shipped, I get a complete AR.

Anyone?

bkt 01-29-2008 09:35 AM

Can you post a link?

SimonTuffGuy 01-29-2008 11:45 AM

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?cat=33&shop=1&

The people that have ordered said they came with all new parts, but had minor scratching on either the uppers or lowers... But for the price? It was a good purchase.

Just looking for suggestions from an experience group of people. :)

bkt 01-29-2008 04:41 PM

Seems a little suspect to me. They refer to everything being "as-is" with no warranty. I didn't see a return policy, either. That's probably enough that I'd go somewhere else.

Check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com and see if you can't build a rifle cheaply that way.

SimonTuffGuy 01-29-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 15185)
Seems a little suspect to me. They refer to everything being "as-is" with no warranty. I didn't see a return policy, either. That's probably enough that I'd go somewhere else.

Check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com and see if you can't build a rifle cheaply that way.

Correct... But it also says that all the guns have been test fired. As I said, I found this deal posted from another forum, in which at least 10 people purchased guns from them... From the posts of the people who've received and fired them, they love it.

I don't really need a warranty, as long as it works. This is just going to be a "fun range" gun... :)

balloo93 02-10-2008 02:19 PM

They are "parts guns". The lowers are one of the three listed and the upper is unknown. Well I think it's known, but I forget the maker.

I haven't heard a single complaint with them, but they are parts guns. One guy even got a bum stock on his and CMMG replaced it for free. There are no waranties for these weapons, but as mentioned, no issues reported from anyone and they have been running this deal for quite a while now.

Most of the guys on that one sight (ARFCOM) buy them with the intention of making them truck guns or beater rifles.

I'm still on the fence about picking up a M4 myself. If I do it will be in the summer.

RMTactical 02-11-2008 06:46 PM

I've heard mixed reviews about the bargain bin rifles. Just remember, if you are going for something you will use for serious use, don't try and get a "bargain bin" rifle. If it's just for fun and plinking, who cares.

SimonTuffGuy 02-11-2008 11:41 PM

Thanks guys... I broke down and just went with a new Bushy... but maybe my next one will be something that I piece together... Not 100% sure at this point what I can afford (I need a job before I buy anything else).

slow - "Your daughter, she come to my house today and she kick my dog... And now my dog needs operation!" - lol... :) Couldn't read your post without thinking about that.

hudd357mag 03-09-2009 03:45 AM

I hope people are not comparing the new CMMG guns with the bargain bin ones. I have met these people at gun shows in St. Louis. Great guns but they will actually have a trash can filled with seconds. Sometimes returns, sometimes damaged in the shop, sometimes just scratched up but work fine. Sometimes just parts of guns in the trash cans. It is not their main business. Their main business is making a whole selection of AR15 clones in a variety of configurations to fit what each person is looking for. They also carry the FN Herstal line I think? Not positive tho.

556plinker 04-24-2010 05:02 AM

cmmg's bargain bin

I bought a 16" midlength and an 18" rifle length out of the bargain bin for 650 apiece out of one of their retailers in columbia, mo. Theyh both had double star lowers. I questioned the clerk about the specifics and they are as follows: The lowers were stripped lowers and assembled by cmmg
The uppers were completely cmmg but I dont know about the barrel because it is not marked and I dont know from what manufacturer.
They were both chrome lined with the m4 feed ramps
They looked normal with no blemished so I asked why were they in the bargain bin....The finishes between the upper and lower were slightly different but I didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me.
I ran 200 rounds between the two with no malfunctions.

NOW, they did have one trash can gun which was appropriatlely labeled and sold for 500 but it was obviously used for extensive testing and pretty beat up...these are not the typical Bargain Bin gun. MIne were what I wuld consider in pristine condition except for the finish which I didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me. Everything fit well and functioned properly and I am beyond satisfied. This is of course with only 100 rounds apice ran thruogh each rifle. Black Rifle in columbia, MO was the particular retailer and I'm ASSUMING they probably get the cherry picked seconds because they are in close proximity to CMMG's hometown of Fayette and probably have a better relationship with them than most of the other retailers. I have no problems with this particular "bargain bin".