Thoughts on American Spirit Arms barrels
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thoughts on American Spirit Arms barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Thoughts on American Spirit Arms barrels

These guys are a local company but I don't know much about them. Does anyone know what their quality is like?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Buy one test it out then give us the run down. I am looking for a barrel.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Buy one test it out then give us the run down. I am looking for a barrel.
I would love to support a local business who uses all American made parts but want to make sure their barrels are good quality. They seem like they put together a good product and they are an ISO certified facility.

Anyone out there got some info?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

I e-mailed these guys to ask a few questions that JD suggested and received this response:

1. Are your barrels chrome lined? We do offer Chrome Lined Barrels.
2. Are the barrels made in house? If so, what type of rifling process is used. We do ALL of the contouring and Chambering in house. The barrel are brought in as Rifled Blanks. The rifle process is Button Rifling.
3. What kind of round life have you experienced with your standard .556mm 16" and 20" barrels? We are easily seeing $15,000+ Rounds out of our Chrome Lined Barrels. All of our Barrels are guaranteed for life. In the event that you would "shoot out" the barrel, it would be replaced at no charge.

I am unfamiliar with "Button Rifling". Any thoughts on that process? I do like the fact that they guarantee them for life. As long as they are in business, that works. What say you fine AR folks?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

$15,000 worth of ammo? Thats roughly 50,000 rounds @ $300 per 1000 rounds. Thats a seriously awesome barrel .

15,000 rounds is a decent life.

Ask them about their chamber specs. and HPT/MP testing. Do they batch test or test each barrel?

I just went to their site and looked around. It looks like for the price you can get a barrel from a familiar manufacturer.

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Button rifling is fine for an AR or other type of barrel that isn't going to be used for SERIOUS competition.

Essentially you take a piece of steel that will be your barrel and you under drill a "pilot hole" that will be the bore. Than you take a "button", which is like a rifled slug for a shotgun, but made of seriously hard steel and you FORCE it down the inner steel "pilot hole" of the barrel with tremendous pressure. As the button goes, it rotates and "cuts" lands and grooves into the steel, thus making a 'barrel' out of it.

mjkeat hit on another couple of interesting questions, but given their answers to the basic questions you asked, I would say their A-ok.

15,000 round count life is most likely out of their chrome lined barrels, which is fine, but you don't need chrome lining unless you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds in short order.

A basic chrome moly barrel would do you fine for your application and with their guarantee, I would say you are good to go.

JD

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

Thanks mjkeat and JD for the help. I think I will give them a go and keep the money local.

I also stopped by Quentin Defense yesterday for the first time because they are really close to my project and found them to be extremely nice people and would recommend them.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Thanks mjkeat and JD for the help. I think I will give them a go and keep the money local.

I also stopped by Quentin Defense yesterday for the first time because they are really close to my project and found them to be extremely nice people and would recommend them.
I have a reciever set from them. Nice people.

I did however never get a responce back on an iquirey on a gun metal grey reciever set w/ matching Troy Extreme rail. It would have made a great looking rifle.