Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thoughts on American Spirit Arms barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thoughts-american-spirit-arms-barrels-38516/)

NitroxAZ 02-15-2011 06:23 PM

Thoughts on American Spirit Arms barrels

These guys are a local company but I don't know much about them. Does anyone know what their quality is like?

Shihan 02-16-2011 12:12 AM

Buy one test it out then give us the run down.;) I am looking for a barrel.

NitroxAZ 02-16-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 446340)
Buy one test it out then give us the run down.;) I am looking for a barrel.

I would love to support a local business who uses all American made parts but want to make sure their barrels are good quality. They seem like they put together a good product and they are an ISO certified facility.

Anyone out there got some info?

NitroxAZ 02-17-2011 12:21 PM

I e-mailed these guys to ask a few questions that JD suggested and received this response:

1. Are your barrels chrome lined? We do offer Chrome Lined Barrels.
2. Are the barrels made in house? If so, what type of rifling process is used. We do ALL of the contouring and Chambering in house. The barrel are brought in as Rifled Blanks. The rifle process is Button Rifling.
3. What kind of round life have you experienced with your standard .556mm 16" and 20" barrels? We are easily seeing $15,000+ Rounds out of our Chrome Lined Barrels. All of our Barrels are guaranteed for life. In the event that you would "shoot out" the barrel, it would be replaced at no charge.

I am unfamiliar with "Button Rifling". Any thoughts on that process? I do like the fact that they guarantee them for life. As long as they are in business, that works. What say you fine AR folks?

mjkeat 02-17-2011 03:27 PM

$15,000 worth of ammo? Thats roughly 50,000 rounds @ $300 per 1000 rounds. Thats a seriously awesome barrel :D.

15,000 rounds is a decent life.

Ask them about their chamber specs. and HPT/MP testing. Do they batch test or test each barrel?

I just went to their site and looked around. It looks like for the price you can get a barrel from a familiar manufacturer.

Dillinger 02-17-2011 03:49 PM

Button rifling is fine for an AR or other type of barrel that isn't going to be used for SERIOUS competition.

Essentially you take a piece of steel that will be your barrel and you under drill a "pilot hole" that will be the bore. Than you take a "button", which is like a rifled slug for a shotgun, but made of seriously hard steel and you FORCE it down the inner steel "pilot hole" of the barrel with tremendous pressure. As the button goes, it rotates and "cuts" lands and grooves into the steel, thus making a 'barrel' out of it.

mjkeat hit on another couple of interesting questions, but given their answers to the basic questions you asked, I would say their A-ok.

15,000 round count life is most likely out of their chrome lined barrels, which is fine, but you don't need chrome lining unless you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds in short order.

A basic chrome moly barrel would do you fine for your application and with their guarantee, I would say you are good to go.

JD

NitroxAZ 02-17-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks mjkeat and JD for the help. I think I will give them a go and keep the money local.

I also stopped by Quentin Defense yesterday for the first time because they are really close to my project and found them to be extremely nice people and would recommend them.

mjkeat 02-17-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroxAZ (Post 447713)
Thanks mjkeat and JD for the help. I think I will give them a go and keep the money local.

I also stopped by Quentin Defense yesterday for the first time because they are really close to my project and found them to be extremely nice people and would recommend them.

I have a reciever set from them. Nice people.

I did however never get a responce back on an iquirey on a gun metal grey reciever set w/ matching Troy Extreme rail. It would have made a great looking rifle.