Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thoughts on a $599 AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thoughts-599-ar-6743/)

janikphoto 09-03-2008 05:36 AM

Thoughts on a $599 AR?

I'm sure some of you have seen the $599 AR made by Century... I think JG Sales has it, and I know Classic Arms has it.

http://www.classicarms.us/

I'm not big into AR's, but thought about getting one and adding one of those Havoc flare/grenade/smoke launchers:

http://www.weaponeer.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=231

The launcher just doesn't look right on anything besides an AR, and a decent entry-level rifle would help me get my feet wet in a new platform. So, what are your thoughts?

bkt 09-03-2008 11:19 AM

It's probably fine for an entry-level rifle. It probably won't have the fit and finish a higher-end rifle would have, but if it's milspec, you should not have problems modifying it as time, money and interest permit.

Just so you know, you can purchase a complete upper, lower and stock separately and put them together yourself and save quite a bit that way.

RL357Mag 09-03-2008 12:42 PM

The Century AR's are put together from used and mix & match parts. I would rather put in a couple hundred more for a new rifle.

janikphoto 09-03-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 38984)
The Century AR's are put together from used and mix & match parts. I would rather put in a couple hundred more for a new rifle.

Yeah, I knew that... but a couple hundred more covers the cost of the launcher. Maybe I'll just stick with my original plan and get a cetme. It might look cool with the launcher AND it is .308, which will pack a punch!!!

I had been thinking about buying a kit or a finished upper and lower, but thought this $599 package was cheap enough. Plus, I've always liked the classic military m-16 look. This would be more of a fun gun than a shtf or survival weapon, anyway.

I guess I should focus my limited income on more useful firearms first. Honestly, I may wind up buying a good 9mm for when I get my chl later this year. I don't want to carry my 1911. So, I guess this whole AR idea is pointless right now.

slowryde45 09-04-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 39024)
Yeah, I knew that... but a couple hundred more covers the cost of the launcher. Maybe I'll just stick with my original plan and get a cetme. It might look cool with the launcher AND it is .308, which will pack a punch!!!

I had been thinking about buying a kit or a finished upper and lower, but thought this $599 package was cheap enough. Plus, I've always liked the classic military m-16 look. This would be more of a fun gun than a shtf or survival weapon, anyway.

I guess I should focus my limited income on more useful firearms first. Honestly, I may wind up buying a good 9mm for when I get my chl later this year. I don't want to carry my 1911. So, I guess this whole AR idea is pointless right now.

Nothing wrong with either, really. For the price of that AR, you could modify it quite a bit before you got up to the price of any of the 'brand' name guns or add the flare launcher. I haven't found much use for the M203 yet, specially since you are pretty much limited to flares and smoke. But it is a cool 'toy' and yes it does add some looks to an AR - and WEIGHT! :D

I enjoy my CETME alot. It was alot cheaper than any of the HK's I have, and just as reliable - but it did take some tuning to get to that state. From a distance, most would not be able to tell them apart (hint- look at the mags). And out shooting, it's a hoot to watch those to the right of you doing some pretty wild dance moves when hot brass is raining down on them. I thought my HK's could launch the brass, the CETME is the distance king :p

Or like you said, save it all up for a nice carry piece. Any ideas what kind of 9mm you are looking for? Just a hint...for the price...but they do have a little weight to them...the CZ-75B ;)

Slo

janikphoto 09-04-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 39068)
Nothing wrong with either, really. For the price of that AR, you could modify it quite a bit before you got up to the price of any of the 'brand' name guns or add the flare launcher. I haven't found much use for the M203 yet, specially since you are pretty much limited to flares and smoke. But it is a cool 'toy' and yes it does add some looks to an AR - and WEIGHT! :D

I enjoy my CETME alot. It was alot cheaper than any of the HK's I have, and just as reliable - but it did take some tuning to get to that state. From a distance, most would not be able to tell them apart (hint- look at the mags). And out shooting, it's a hoot to watch those to the right of you doing some pretty wild dance moves when hot brass is raining down on them. I thought my HK's could launch the brass, the CETME is the distance king :p

Or like you said, save it all up for a nice carry piece. Any ideas what kind of 9mm you are looking for? Just a hint...for the price...but they do have a little weight to them...the CZ-75B ;)

Slo

yes, the launcher would really be for looks, as a "toy".

yes, the cetme can send brass flying, and I can only imagine would be a sweet firearm. That's why it's on my short list.

I was thinking about a glock 26 with grip extension as one option for the CCW. We'll see what happens...

hillbilly68 09-04-2008 11:02 AM

You can pick up a DPMS for around that price (pretty basic model, but it is good quality). If you have a hankerin for an AR I would recommend that route. Good luck!

slowryde45 09-04-2008 04:34 PM

Another option on that AR - check out J & T Distributing...they have kits that start like at $459, plus another $100 for a lower receiver, and you can put it together and learn alot more about your AR.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/kits_car.html

And yes, the Glock would be a decent CCW. Not my particular choice, but to each his own.

Slo

bkt 09-04-2008 04:42 PM

Check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com if you think you might want to put together your own. You might come in at the same price, or maybe spend a little more. But you would be able to choose good, quality brands.

dragunovsks 09-09-2008 02:10 AM

I just bought a Century Arms AR in question. Mine is an AR-15A2 with a 20" barrel and standard round handguards as well as a standard rifle stock. All of the external parts are Century Arms made parts including the upper and lower but all of the internal parts are "Colt".

Mine came with an Acu-Wedge installed in the lower, dealer said they all come like that, but only came with one 30-round mag.

I've not had any problems with function yet, and the rifle looks indentical to my dad's Colt AR-15A2, bought about 15 years ago and his cost him around $1,600.

I have plans of putting a 6-pos adjustable stock on mine and maybe a set of tactical handguards to enable use of a bi-pod.