Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   thinking of a second build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thinking-second-build-33987/)

t-rav 11-05-2010 04:28 AM

thinking of a second build

I am thinking of building another ar next semester and was looking for ideas on it. I am going to want a target mid range rifle platform. I was thinking of keeping it a .223 and the yardage 200 to 300 possibly even 400. My goal is to build one with a full stainless steel bull barrel upper and a spikes tactical lower receiver. Is there any good places online to find the upper I am looking for? I want at least over a 20" minimum length. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Travis

dunerunner 11-05-2010 05:13 AM

One here $775 DPMS PANTHER ARMS : Upper Receiver w/.223 cal, FT, 20" Bull Barrel, Chrome (231-000-020) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

PTsouthpaw 11-05-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rav (Post 380817)
I am thinking of building another ar next semester and was looking for ideas on it. I am going to want a target mid range rifle platform. I was thinking of keeping it a .223 and the yardage 200 to 300 possibly even 400. My goal is to build one with a full stainless steel bull barrel upper and a spikes tactical lower receiver. Is there any good places online to find the upper I am looking for? I want at least over a 20" minimum length. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Travis

Gunsmithing - Shop Gunsmithing Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Give Midway a look, they have a bunch of uppers on sale right now (I linked you to the 20" .223 page). There is also Rock River Arms, which I am currently looking at for a similar build that I am doing, because they are reasonably priced and it will match my RRA lower:

Rock River Arms: Custom Firearms, Parts, Accessories

dunerunner 11-05-2010 03:17 PM

Much better prices than the link I provided....saved it for myself!! :D

Squirrel_Slayer 11-05-2010 03:23 PM

J and T Distributing, Google it. They are the official suppplier for Doublestar. Got my 24" stainless bull barrel upper, complete, for 504.00 shipped to my door, and I got it within one week!

t-rav 11-05-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 380981)
J and T Distributing, Google it. They are the official suppplier for Doublestar. Got my 24" stainless bull barrel upper, complete, for 504.00 shipped to my door, and I got it within one week!

Thanks for this info I think thats where i am going to get my complete upper from. I really like the 24" stainless 1 in 10 twist.

Squirrel_Slayer 11-05-2010 08:22 PM

I have the 1:8 twist, and I like it alot. The 1:10 will like to shoot 50gr. V-Max. My 1:8 twist barrel likes 69gr. Matchkings. My father has one of their uppers on his AR in the 1:10 twist. I think the 1:10 twist barrels are ER Shaws, and the 1:8 twist barrels are Wilson Combat. Those are the two manufactures they like to spec out for barrels. Uhm, what else can I tell you. Oh, place your order by phone, try and talk to Kelly if you can, she is a sweet heart (gotta love the Southern drawl), they won't carge your card till it ships. Once you notice the charge on your card, email their sales department, and they will give you the tracking number so you can follow the progress on the UPS website. You'll have to have it shipped to your house and the driver won't deliver without a signature.

OK, that's all the info I can think of. Hope I helped. Let us know how the progress comes along.

Catfish 11-05-2010 11:56 PM

I have exactly what you looking for. A RR upper heavy barreled 20 in. With the 6 lbs. of lead that goes in the stock to balance it the rifle weights just over 16 lbs. without a clip in it. If your were in OH. I would make you a deal on it. It`s a tack driver but way to heavy for an old man like me.