thinking of buying my first AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > thinking of buying my first AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thinking of buying my first AR-15

i am thinking of buying an ar-15 and what i am looking for is recommendations for a good one in the $1,000 to $1,200 price range

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Colt LE 6920...as good as it gets (IMHO) in that price range...

Why not start a build? Will most likely save you a few bucks...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Colt LE 6920...as good as it gets (IMHO) in that price range...

Why not start a build? Will most likely save you a few bucks...
i would but i dont know thing one about ar-15's i have not even shot one

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnyder88 View Post
i would but i dont know thing one about ar-15's i have not even shot one
I'm far from an expert myself but have shot one or two...[drooling]...

It's not hard, you can just get a complete lower, separate upper, assemble and plink away, (I think) or you can go the full nine an order every single part custom to your liking. It's a great idea, if you have the time and patients, to do that. Kind of like on the job training, you get to learn as you go.

Check out the stickies at the top of this sub-forum by Agent Tikki, he knows his stuff, that may give you a little better idea of how you want to go about it...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

It's not hard, you can just get a complete lower, separate upper, assemble and plink away, (I think) or you can go the full nine an order every single part custom to your liking. It's a great idea, if you have the time and patients, to do that. Kind of like on the job training, you get to learn as you go.

Check out the stickies at the top of this sub-forum by Agent Tikki, he knows his stuff, that may give you a little better idea of how you want to go about it...

cool thank you for that info
Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

where would be a good place to get parts?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #7

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Definitely read the AR Primer sticky. I'd digest it before buying parts.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Building an AR is the way to go for that price range. Building, in my view, is much less about saving money, as it is about getting the rifle that is exactly what you want.

You can buy any stripped lower for about $100, buy a lower parts kit without a trigger, and a milspec stock assembly. You can put a little more money into a trigger and a nicer stock with your budget...there's your lower

Then, buy a pre-built upper. With some companies you can specify what hand guard you want, what charging handle, and what bolt carrier group you want. Add back-up iron sights and you got your upper.

Put them together with 2 pins and you are all finished. $1000-1200. If you want some sort of scope or red dot, you could add anywhere from $100 to $1200.

If some of that terminology went over your head, then just start reading a lot of the stickies on the AR-15 sub-forum. Just a few years ago I had no idea what any of this meant! The terms "1/3 co-witness" or "properly staked gas key" just made my head spin. Now I can build one from a pile of parts and know exactly what I want and need in an AR. You can get there, too!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 09-29-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
Building an AR is the way to go for that price range. Building, in my view, is much less about saving money, as it is about getting the rifle that is exactly what you want.

You can buy any stripped lower for about $100, buy a lower parts kit without a trigger, and a milspec stock assembly. You can put a little more money into a trigger and a nicer stock with your budget...there's your lower

Then, buy a pre-built upper. With some companies you can specify what hand guard you want, what charging handle, and what bolt carrier group you want. Add back-up iron sights and you got your upper.

Put them together with 2 pins and you are all finished. $1000-1200. If you want some sort of scope or red dot, you could add anywhere from $100 to $1200.

If some of that terminology went over your head, then just start reading a lot of the stickies on the AR-15 sub-forum. Just a few years ago I had no idea what any of this meant! The terms "1/3 co-witness" or "properly staked gas key" just made my head spin. Now I can build one from a pile of parts and know exactly what I want and need in an AR. You can get there, too!
Well said. I gained lots of AR15 knowledge from here. Just by reading and asking

Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Search the Forum

For that much money you will have so many options you will wish you hadn't asked.

Just decide what your going to use it for, and buy one off of backpage where everyone else who was just thinking about buying one, is no selling there's because the cool factor wore off.

Just beware of the closet commandos that think theirs is worth more than retail because they invested so much in accessories ..