Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   thinking of buying my first AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thinking-buying-my-first-ar-15-a-73367/)

tsnyder88 09-29-2012 12:38 AM

thinking of buying my first AR-15
 
i am thinking of buying an ar-15 and what i am looking for is recommendations for a good one in the $1,000 to $1,200 price range

vincent 09-29-2012 12:41 AM

Colt LE 6920...as good as it gets (IMHO) in that price range...

Why not start a build? Will most likely save you a few bucks...

tsnyder88 09-29-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 958098)
Colt LE 6920...as good as it gets (IMHO) in that price range...

Why not start a build? Will most likely save you a few bucks...

i would but i dont know thing one about ar-15's i have not even shot one

vincent 09-29-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsnyder88 (Post 958100)
i would but i dont know thing one about ar-15's i have not even shot one

I'm far from an expert myself but have shot one or two...[drooling]...:D

It's not hard, you can just get a complete lower, separate upper, assemble and plink away, (I think) or you can go the full nine an order every single part custom to your liking. It's a great idea, if you have the time and patients, to do that. Kind of like on the job training, you get to learn as you go.

Check out the stickies at the top of this sub-forum by Agent Tikki, he knows his stuff, that may give you a little better idea of how you want to go about it...:cool:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

tsnyder88 09-29-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 958103)
I'm far from an expert myself but have shot one or two...[drooling]...:D

It's not hard, you can just get a complete lower, separate upper, assemble and plink away, (I think) or you can go the full nine an order every single part custom to your liking. It's a great idea, if you have the time and patients, to do that. Kind of like on the job training, you get to learn as you go.

Check out the stickies at the top of this sub-forum by Agent Tikki, he knows his stuff, that may give you a little better idea of how you want to go about it...:cool:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

cool thank you for that info

tsnyder88 09-29-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 958103)
I'm far from an expert myself but have shot one or two...[drooling]...:D

It's not hard, you can just get a complete lower, separate upper, assemble and plink away, (I think) or you can go the full nine an order every single part custom to your liking. It's a great idea, if you have the time and patients, to do that. Kind of like on the job training, you get to learn as you go.

Check out the stickies at the top of this sub-forum by Agent Tikki, he knows his stuff, that may give you a little better idea of how you want to go about it...:cool:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

where would be a good place to get parts?

Quentin 09-29-2012 05:39 AM

Definitely read the AR Primer sticky. I'd digest it before buying parts.

CHLChris 09-29-2012 05:54 AM

Building an AR is the way to go for that price range. Building, in my view, is much less about saving money, as it is about getting the rifle that is exactly what you want.

You can buy any stripped lower for about $100, buy a lower parts kit without a trigger, and a milspec stock assembly. You can put a little more money into a trigger and a nicer stock with your budget...there's your lower

Then, buy a pre-built upper. With some companies you can specify what hand guard you want, what charging handle, and what bolt carrier group you want. Add back-up iron sights and you got your upper.

Put them together with 2 pins and you are all finished. $1000-1200. If you want some sort of scope or red dot, you could add anywhere from $100 to $1200.

If some of that terminology went over your head, then just start reading a lot of the stickies on the AR-15 sub-forum. Just a few years ago I had no idea what any of this meant! The terms "1/3 co-witness" or "properly staked gas key" just made my head spin. Now I can build one from a pile of parts and know exactly what I want and need in an AR. You can get there, too!

okdonk 09-29-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris
Building an AR is the way to go for that price range. Building, in my view, is much less about saving money, as it is about getting the rifle that is exactly what you want.

You can buy any stripped lower for about $100, buy a lower parts kit without a trigger, and a milspec stock assembly. You can put a little more money into a trigger and a nicer stock with your budget...there's your lower

Then, buy a pre-built upper. With some companies you can specify what hand guard you want, what charging handle, and what bolt carrier group you want. Add back-up iron sights and you got your upper.

Put them together with 2 pins and you are all finished. $1000-1200. If you want some sort of scope or red dot, you could add anywhere from $100 to $1200.

If some of that terminology went over your head, then just start reading a lot of the stickies on the AR-15 sub-forum. Just a few years ago I had no idea what any of this meant! The terms "1/3 co-witness" or "properly staked gas key" just made my head spin. Now I can build one from a pile of parts and know exactly what I want and need in an AR. You can get there, too!

Well said. I gained lots of AR15 knowledge from here. Just by reading and asking :)

mudpupp 09-29-2012 09:55 AM

Search the Forum

For that much money you will have so many options you will wish you hadn't asked.

Just decide what your going to use it for, and buy one off of backpage where everyone else who was just thinking about buying one, is no selling there's because the cool factor wore off.

Just beware of the closet commandos that think theirs is worth more than retail because they invested so much in accessories ..


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.