Thinking of building
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thinking of building

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thinking of building

So I'm kind of thinking about building an AR.
I'm wondering how difficult it is, and if its cheaper to just buy a complete rifle?

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Build it...build it...

Seriously, lots of folks here have been down the path you are going, many have chosen to build their own. There are a few stickies in the forum that will help, along with some of the build threads the guys have posted.

I am in the middle of an on-again, off-again build project myself and the folks here are always willing to lend their experience, give advice and tell you when you are f'ed up, just kidding. It's really not as difficult as it seems at first and you will get a sense of accomplishment and have a rifle that you know in the most intimate of detail.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you decide.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Build it...build it...

Seriously, lots of folks here have been down the path you are going, many have chosen to build their own. There are a few stickies in the forum that will help, along with some of the build threads the guys have posted.

I am in the middle of an on-again, off-again build project myself and the folks here are always willing to lend their experience, give advice and tell you when you are f'ed up, just kidding. It's really not as difficult as it seems at first and you will get a sense of accomplishment and have a rifle that you know in the most intimate of detail.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you decide.
+1 - It is really easy if you have simple handyman skills. In addition to the stickies at the top of this section, there are quite a few videos on YouTube that help. Not that there is anything wrong with buying one but it is much cooler to have one you built than one you bought IMHO.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is building it gonna be cheaper than buying one?
I mean, if I'm gonna build, I'm going to build it right. I'm not one to half ass things.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If you build it, you will be able to spec the parts that you are putting in it and you will be able to get an understanding of how the weapon system works.

Picking the options is going to lead you to buying better, more expensive parts, so from that aspect it will not be "cheaper" from A to a firing weapon.

However, in the long run it will be cheaper because once you buy one, you will want to upgrade the parts anyways.

Build it. You will get a better unit and you will be more knowledgable about how to take care of it. There are a ton of folks here to help you.

JD

Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
I mean, if I'm gonna build, I'm going to build it right. I'm not one to half ass things.
In the long run I'd say yes...problem with buying one is that you get what the manufacturer wants to sell you; build it yourself and you get to choose the upper, bolt carrier, barrel, lower, trigger group, grip, stock, sights, foreend, etc, no need to strip things off afterwards and replace them with what you really wanted. On the other hand, if you choose, you can also go low end on some things and high end on others until you get the cash to finish it how you want it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I started my build back in august( on hold have a new born but when taxes get here its getting finished). Its alot easier then you think the lower is super easy to assemble at least in my opinion but then again i think putten together a ford 5.0 is easy too.

You can build your own for cheap however when you start looking for parts you will find ones you like better then the cheapest ones(i did) and then like you said im not one to half ass it either so i figured my first one will be exactly what i want it to be. i will probably have about 1300 in the rifle without optics mags or ammo when im done. im sure it wont be my last one and the next one may very well be a budget build one.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure I'll start a build soon.

I building things is not one of my weaknesses. I'm sure it'll be a breeze for me. Since it is a gun, I didn't know if I would spend tons of money getting a smith to fit a few things here and there.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

Build it yourself. I just started learning about guns about 2-3 months ago and I just finished my AR last week. It's not hard to do. It's very satisfying putting it together yourself.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm sure I'll start a build soon.

I building things is not one of my weaknesses. I'm sure it'll be a breeze for me. Since it is a gun, I didn't know if I would spend tons of money getting a smith to fit a few things here and there.
AR's remind me of the plastic "snap together" car models. As long as you get a barrel with the extension istalled there is no specialized gunsmith work involved. Just a matter of lining up and driving some pins and twisting some threaded parts on.

If you feel the need you can get a no go guage to verify head space, but if your parts aren't used with tens and tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel, you don't need to add that step.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-