Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thinking of building (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thinking-building-33779/)

mcramer 10-30-2010 09:13 PM

Thinking of building

So I'm kind of thinking about building an AR.
I'm wondering how difficult it is, and if its cheaper to just buy a complete rifle?

Jpyle 10-30-2010 09:19 PM

Build it...build it...:p

Seriously, lots of folks here have been down the path you are going, many have chosen to build their own. There are a few stickies in the forum that will help, along with some of the build threads the guys have posted.

I am in the middle of an on-again, off-again build project myself and the folks here are always willing to lend their experience, give advice and tell you when you are f'ed up, just kidding. It's really not as difficult as it seems at first and you will get a sense of accomplishment and have a rifle that you know in the most intimate of detail.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you decide.

NitroxAZ 10-30-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 377516)
Build it...build it...:p

Seriously, lots of folks here have been down the path you are going, many have chosen to build their own. There are a few stickies in the forum that will help, along with some of the build threads the guys have posted.

I am in the middle of an on-again, off-again build project myself and the folks here are always willing to lend their experience, give advice and tell you when you are f'ed up, just kidding. It's really not as difficult as it seems at first and you will get a sense of accomplishment and have a rifle that you know in the most intimate of detail.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you decide.

+1 - It is really easy if you have simple handyman skills. In addition to the stickies at the top of this section, there are quite a few videos on YouTube that help. Not that there is anything wrong with buying one but it is much cooler to have one you built than one you bought IMHO.

mcramer 10-30-2010 09:35 PM

Is building it gonna be cheaper than buying one?
I mean, if I'm gonna build, I'm going to build it right. I'm not one to half ass things.

Dillinger 10-30-2010 09:45 PM

If you build it, you will be able to spec the parts that you are putting in it and you will be able to get an understanding of how the weapon system works.

Picking the options is going to lead you to buying better, more expensive parts, so from that aspect it will not be "cheaper" from A to a firing weapon.

However, in the long run it will be cheaper because once you buy one, you will want to upgrade the parts anyways.

Build it. You will get a better unit and you will be more knowledgable about how to take care of it. There are a ton of folks here to help you.

JD

Jpyle 10-30-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcramer (Post 377525)
I mean, if I'm gonna build, I'm going to build it right. I'm not one to half ass things.

In the long run I'd say yes...problem with buying one is that you get what the manufacturer wants to sell you; build it yourself and you get to choose the upper, bolt carrier, barrel, lower, trigger group, grip, stock, sights, foreend, etc, no need to strip things off afterwards and replace them with what you really wanted. On the other hand, if you choose, you can also go low end on some things and high end on others until you get the cash to finish it how you want it.

mach1337 10-31-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcramer (Post 377525)

I started my build back in august( on hold have a new born but when taxes get here its getting finished). Its alot easier then you think the lower is super easy to assemble at least in my opinion but then again i think putten together a ford 5.0 is easy too.

You can build your own for cheap however when you start looking for parts you will find ones you like better then the cheapest ones(i did) and then like you said im not one to half ass it either so i figured my first one will be exactly what i want it to be. i will probably have about 1300 in the rifle without optics mags or ammo when im done. im sure it wont be my last one and the next one may very well be a budget build one.

mcramer 10-31-2010 06:42 AM

I'm sure I'll start a build soon.

I building things is not one of my weaknesses. I'm sure it'll be a breeze for me. Since it is a gun, I didn't know if I would spend tons of money getting a smith to fit a few things here and there.

BigSe63xy 10-31-2010 07:47 AM

Build it yourself. I just started learning about guns about 2-3 months ago and I just finished my AR last week. It's not hard to do. It's very satisfying putting it together yourself.

jeepcreep927 10-31-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcramer (Post 377715)
I'm sure I'll start a build soon.

I building things is not one of my weaknesses. I'm sure it'll be a breeze for me. Since it is a gun, I didn't know if I would spend tons of money getting a smith to fit a few things here and there.

AR's remind me of the plastic "snap together" car models. As long as you get a barrel with the extension istalled there is no specialized gunsmith work involved. Just a matter of lining up and driving some pins and twisting some threaded parts on.

If you feel the need you can get a no go guage to verify head space, but if your parts aren't used with tens and tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel, you don't need to add that step.