Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > thinking of an ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i cant go another 100$ ive got a chance to get this one or nothing. it will be right around 720$ after everything is said an done. and people say thease rifles shoot really well.

im getting to the point to where i wanna say the hell with it

this is the one im looking at on budsgunshop

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5632&cat=1891

Last edited by CD82; 09-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I know folks that swear by DPMS, but I've seen a few examples of shotty quality control in the past month alone.

Just don't be scared and build the rifle. I have very little patience and it was a breeze and so much fun.

you don't need much. just do it.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #33

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Well ultimately it's your decision so I hate to talk you out of something that you might be satisfied with. But don't forget that rifle needs sights so you're going over $800 anyway. That could get you up to a S&W or Spikes Tactical or a pretty darn good build, even BCM if you use their blemished complete lower for $270, midlength upper and handguards for $405, charging handle/BCG for $135 - that's $810 and you still need a rear sight.

We get carried away here telling people to build because it worked out well for us, but of course not everyone is sold on doing a build.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-01-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #34

so i need to buy a scope and you must think i didnt know that.

yes i know it needs a scope why buy one when i have one???

if i build one ill also need to buy clips a case sling etc.. which will put me way out of budget. when i can buy the rifle for 700$ an it comes with that yeah clips are cheap but it adds up quick.

some build guides i have seen say its best to have a vice some people say you dont need one. if i did i dont have one or access to one so there is another 40$ from lowes. i dont really have the patience probily worse than anyone on this forum. especialy with little springs and pins an stuff. i also took that into consideration as well.

and if i happen to not like the ar how they shoot and this and that. there is all that wasted time and it might have a few mixed parts on it. here an there an upper an lower an if i go to resale it. then it might not resale all that well where as a dpms a knowen brand. might be a bit easier to sell that kind of makes sence to me.

ok so you hall condone building one and trying to push people into building one. when im looking at buying one beacue i think its simpler

and diggs go try an push someone else into building one not me

Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CD, I wouldn't take "not liking" the rifle into consideration when you choose to either build or buy a complete rifle. I would just suggest that you research and end up with the rifle exactly how you want it for a price that you are comfortable with. The only thing quirky that I think you may find with the AR platform is the buffer spring noise in the stock every time you fire a round. I am new to the AR game as well. Mine has only been completed several months. But I am exstatic with it. Check it out on the AR picture thread. It should be the last one posted. Let me know what you think. Anyhow, good luck, and I'm sure you'll dig your AR once it's in your hands and you've sent some lead down range.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #36

ive shot a couple of ars before an the spring noise didnt bug me all that much. the rock river ar i shot and also the stag arms ar i shot had it. it didnt bug me that much to be honest. but i just ordered this rifle and we will see how i like it. i think i will enjoy it and once i had a few play prettys here and there. i will like it more an more i think thank u all for your help and i will post pictures and stuff. and im sure be asking a few more questions later down the line.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #37

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have as Star 15 made by Double Star here in Ky. They don't seem too popular with a lot of AR gurus but I can honestly say I've loved this rifle from day one. It's a no frills M4gery but it shoots straight and can reach out there pretty well.I have all of 600.00 in it (not counting the glass but it's a cheap one anyway). They make both basic rifles and some custom jobs, some of which I've got to shoot and all I can say is WOW! These guys have been in business a good while but didn't start selling whole rifles till around 2000. Their parts do go into some of the bigger name rifles if I'm to understand it right. Buds has a Star 15 for 659.00.

The others have given some excellent advice. I just thought I'd toss this in to add to possibilities.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 DJ on Doublestar products, I have one of their uppers and it rocks.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #39

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD82 View Post
so i need to buy a scope and you must think i didnt know that.

yes i know it needs a scope why buy one when i have one???

if i build one ill also need to buy clips a case sling etc.. which will put me way out of budget. when i can buy the rifle for 700$ an it comes with that yeah clips are cheap but it adds up quick.

some build guides i have seen say its best to have a vice some people say you dont need one. if i did i dont have one or access to one so there is another 40$ from lowes. i dont really have the patience probily worse than anyone on this forum. especialy with little springs and pins an stuff. i also took that into consideration as well.

and if i happen to not like the ar how they shoot and this and that. there is all that wasted time and it might have a few mixed parts on it. here an there an upper an lower an if i go to resale it. then it might not resale all that well where as a dpms a knowen brand. might be a bit easier to sell that kind of makes sence to me.

ok so you hall condone building one and trying to push people into building one. when im looking at buying one beacue i think its simpler

and diggs go try an push someone else into building one not me
So I made you mad by trying to help? If so it's because I'm having a hard time understanding you due to your writing style. Too hard to figure out so I'll just back out of your threads. Good luck...

Old 03-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #40

For what it's worth I'll through my two cents in. When I started in my process to buy an M4 I was told the same thing and I believe that is the best way but, at the time I was on a budget and honestly didn't know what I was doing. I talked to a gun dealer around here and he talked me into a Spikes Tactical it isn't one of their complete rifles but, it is custom built of their components with DD rails and magpul components so, kind of in a way its custom. I am sure there is better out there but, I like it and I will eventually venture into custom made as I learn more about them and what's out there. It is very accurate out to 100yards off the flip up sights. Love the gun and I was directed in the right direction. Compared to the LMT's and even the Daniel Defense complets rifles it compares and for less money. I got more for my money.

Last edited by njsportsman; 03-11-2011 at 06:24 PM.