Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > thinking of an ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thinking of an ar-15

im looking into buying my first ever ar to own. so far ive looked at dpms bushmaster stag arms smith an wesson darkstar an some others. i will be making my purchase online cause i find them cheaper. ive found a stag arms sa1 and i like it. but budsgunshop is sold out right now

ill be shooting and plinking i might toss it in the truck now an then. ill be walking the pasture here an there dont want nothing too heavy. and i wont be defending a stock tank front from 1000 yotes. so no real fast shooting so light barrel is fine with me.

i could go as high as 700$ or 800$ im shopping at buds gunshop. wish i could find something with a detachable handle. wont be able to get a scope right off the bat. if not i might can get a 40$ bsa red dot. the dpms panther ap4 looks cool but little out of price range. i plan on adding quite a few accessories later on foward grip etc. also was looking at the darkstarr rifles.

its a hard decision to make right now and im confused. on what to get at all to be honest with ya.

ive thought about getting a bushmaster if i could find one reasonable. or a RRA ive shot an RRA an it was ok the spring in the a2 style buttplate made lot of noise.

someone here where i live said get a bushy upper dpms lower an whould have. one helluva gun so ive concidered that option also. heck please help me out here someone lol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi CD82,

Like you I came here looking for similar advice about a month or so ago. I was looking at a sig tho. after alot of people talked to me and i did some research myself i decided to go ahead and build my ar. you can do it for cheap in fact there is a budget build thread here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-budget-builds-25081/ . the hardest thing is figuring out what you want. definatly read thru some of the old threads theres alot of good stuff in there and tons of people who built there own and made it the way they wanted it for as much or cheaper then one you can buy. just my .02.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Hi CD82,

Like you I came here looking for similar advice about a month or so ago. I was looking at a sig tho. after a lot of people talked to me and i did some research myself i decided to go ahead and build my ar. you can do it for cheap in fact there is a budget build thread here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-budget-builds-25081/ . the hardest thing is figuring out what you want. defiantly read thru some of the old threads there's a lot of good stuff in there and tons of people who built there own and made it the way they wanted it for as much or cheaper then one you can buy. just my .02.
Outstanding advice, IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would definitely suggest building your own rifle. These rifles are the easiest things to assemble if you buy a completed upper. And that way you have a gun that is completely yours and will do exactly what you want it to do. That's one of the beauties of the AR platform. Check out J and T Distributing online. One of the least expensive places to find a completed upper. I bought my 24" stainless bull barreled upper for 504.00 shipped to my house. It's a Doublestar receiver with a Wilson Combat match barrel. Will be posting pictures of it soon as I just joined up today.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #5

yeah im looking at that stag aarms sr1 sure seems nice. ive also seen the sigs but decided agesnt them. i think i might have decided not to build one an just buy one. out right and if i dont like the thing i can sell it

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well it is your money. i will say that i just got my lower parts kit in today took me about 30 mins to put it together and that is the first one i have ever done. now if the SHTF i will know how to scavenge the parts i need from other rifles.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #7

if i did wanna build one hte upper i want is quite a bit its a dpms. not sure what lower i whould get really. i just think for my first one might be better to buy a whole one. an if i like it then later on build a nice one. i just want a carbine to mess around with. no heavy barrel varmiter yet

ive seen some really cool built set ups though

and thanks for the tips i have given it some thought on building my own. and i do understand if u do build one it is yours. its like my computers i built them they are mine not store bought. i do understand the aspect of that

i got so many ideas an things running thorugh my head about ars its not funny. what are some other reasonable lowers and what about a 2 stage trigger system? are there reasonable kits with them?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hum, lowers can be super cheap, or unreasonably expensive, all for a "mil-spec" part. I personally have an Aero-Precision, they're the company that does the forgings for Spikes Tactical, that I bought for 80.00 and it fit sloppy. Threw in an Accuwedge and voila, good to go. I know that S7W lowers can be had for 120.00 here in CA and with a Double Star upper, no Accuwedge is needed. Nice tight fit. I have never been able to justify spending more than 150.00 on a stripped lower, I think most of your accuracy comes from the upper assembly and barrel.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I meant S&W, Smith & Wesson, not S7W...sorry.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #10

its no big deal typos happen

one thing i do have a question if i were to build one the pics ive seen. of people putting there ars together on other forums. they use a vice is i guess its a nessessity? if so well thats an issue i dont have one much less the place to mount one. and not sure of anyone with one heh