Thinking about getting a Grendel Upper. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Thinking about getting a Grendel Upper.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Slow - I probably read some of the same articles you are talking about. I did TOO much damn research getting to this point... LOL

I love the Creedmoor, but I read that you could use the same upper and lower as the standard .223 unit. I asked about it at the shop, but I didn't make clear what my intention was when I was starting to buy parts. After much searching trying to buy my BCG, turns out that is COMPLETELY wrong information.

You need the AR-10 platform to be able to chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor, so I was completely wrong, by proxy, of my own research - which is usually my strong point... LOL

So, while an AR-10 is definitely on the list, for this build, I am going with the Grendel.

As for the Lapua - I love the cartridge, but the ammo is going to kill you in the pants pocket. Have to priced Lapua brass lately? Good Lawd that is some pricey stuff... LOL

But, I will continue the build and post the results, good, bad or ugly...

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #12

The Grendel uses Lapua brass...

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
The Grendel uses Lapua brass...
The Grendel CAN use the Lapua brass - it can also use 6PPC brass, necked up, it can also, in time of need, use standard 7.62x39 cased ammo, necked down to fit the correct size bullet.

One of the new selling points about the weapon platform for me personally.

JD

Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Slow - I probably read some of the same articles you are talking about. I did TOO much damn research getting to this point... LOL

I love the Creedmoor, but I read that you could use the same upper and lower as the standard .223 unit. I asked about it at the shop, but I didn't make clear what my intention was when I was starting to buy parts. After much searching trying to buy my BCG, turns out that is COMPLETELY wrong information.

You need the AR-10 platform to be able to chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor, so I was completely wrong, by proxy, of my own research - which is usually my strong point... LOL

So, while an AR-10 is definitely on the list, for this build, I am going with the Grendel.

As for the Lapua - I love the cartridge, but the ammo is going to kill you in the pants pocket. Have to priced Lapua brass lately? Good Lawd that is some pricey stuff... LOL

But, I will continue the build and post the results, good, bad or ugly...

JD
Ahhh...yes, some folks missed that same point. I have both platforms that I can build off of, .223 and .308, but was still a bit undecided as to continuing to upgrade the Grendel or build up a Creedmore. Then I see the Lapua come out and that just messed everything all up

As for the brass, don't tell anyone...but I think that they (the Fins) think that it is really GOLD or something My long range bolt gun is a .338 Lapua Mag, and I'm about ready to 2nd mortgage the house to keep feeding it

But it's such a nice piece of "KIT" And I can hit the broadside of the barn or anything else that you care to put on that same broadside - the farthest hit (on target - actually what I aimed at) through my "telescopic optic" - at 1600 meters. So I'm hoping that the Grendel/Creedmore/Lapua whichever one comes out on top will do the job at the intermediate ranges.

And here I was hoping that you'd be the test-mule on that one

Slo

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #15

Slo - I was literally laughing out loud and needing a break after reading your post. While I can't be your 'pig, I would love to consult on the Grendel build and on future builds. Your post had me rolling...

JD

Old 08-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Ahhh...yes, some folks missed that same point. I have both platforms that I can build off of, .223 and .308, but was still a bit undecided as to continuing to upgrade the Grendel or build up a Creedmore. Then I see the Lapua come out and that just messed everything all up

As for the brass, don't tell anyone...but I think that they (the Fins) think that it is really GOLD or something My long range bolt gun is a .338 Lapua Mag, and I'm about ready to 2nd mortgage the house to keep feeding it

But it's such a nice piece of "KIT" And I can hit the broadside of the barn or anything else that you care to put on that same broadside - the farthest hit (on target - actually what I aimed at) through my "telescopic optic" - at 1600 meters. So I'm hoping that the Grendel/Creedmore/Lapua whichever one comes out on top will do the job at the intermediate ranges.

And here I was hoping that you'd be the test-mule on that one

Slo
Wow, you must use anti-cant devices so your telescopic sight stays over your barrel.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Wow, you must use anti-cant devices so your telescopic sight stays over your barrel.
No way...I searched all the Mall Ninja sites on-line and off-line to find only the finest of pieces of kit to solve that problem. And I'm proud to say that it was designed/manufactured in China, but only by the finest illegal aliens (Mexicans), who thought they were getting on the INS boat. Yes, inspected by, signed, sealed, delivered by Juan Hung Lo - aka #69. It was advertized on one of those "As-Seen-On-TV" infomercials, with the Vice-Grip brand on it - it's called the Anti-Canti-Lever

But of course, most gun experts all know that the canted front sights on AK's and AR's were deliberately designed to offset the application of canted telescopic optics.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
No way...I searched all the Mall Ninja sites on-line and off-line to find only the finest of pieces of kit to solve that problem. And I'm proud to say that it was designed/manufactured in China, but only by the finest illegal aliens (Mexicans), who thought they were getting on the INS boat. Yes, inspected by, signed, sealed, delivered by Juan Hung Lo - aka #69. It was advertized on one of those "As-Seen-On-TV" infomercials, with the Vice-Grip brand on it - it's called the Anti-Canti-Lever

But of course, most gun experts all know that the canted front sights on AK's and AR's were deliberately designed to offset the application of canted telescopic optics.
Stop! You're killing me over here.... My office mates are going to wonder what the hell is so funny and want me to forward it to them. All of them are Liberal Demo-Commies, so that won't do any good.... LOL

Ah Slo - Luv you man....

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have you checked out the 6.8 SPC. RRA has uppers in A4 config for $475...Complete rifles for $900...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My father has just finished up a 6.5 Grendel. Amazing rifle!!! 24" stainless ER Shaw bull barrel on a DPMS upper. After the first 100 rounds went through it, it was shooting 5 round "bughole" groups at the 100 yard range with factory Alexander Arms ammo. As far as reloading for it, brass is still scarce, at least in my part of the country. Lapua I think is all that's out there right now, but I have been told by the folks at Midway that Hornady will be distributing some brass for the 6.5 Grendel very soon. Oh yeah, recoil is amazing soft, just hardly enough to buck you off the scope picture. Shoots like a .223 on steroids. I want one soon....