Thinking the 80% route, Questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Thinking the 80% route, Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I thought about it at one point. That was until I priced the tooling/jigs needed.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Guess I should start playing with the 80% lower I have. Fortunately it has most of the pin holes done and is tapped for the receiver extension and pistol grip but needs the mag well and TCG well milled out to become a functioning lower. Other things to do include the buffer retainer hole, bolt hold open roll pin hole, pivot/takedown detent/selector spring & detent holes. Most of those holes don't have to be done to have a functioning lower, except for the selector detent hole.

I have nothing but hand tools and a vise so guess I'll start on the magwell first. If I see that's not going anywhere it'll resume being a paperweight!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #13

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have contemplated this too and want to proceed but am still unsure. I will be watching your progress with great interest.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #14

Is anybody gonna answer or attempt to answer one of my first questions?

Why Anodize?

And

Has Anybody done this, besides Spitz'z Raw Forging build?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
Is anybody gonna answer or attempt to answer one of my first questions?

Why Anodize?

And

Has Anybody done this, besides Spitz'z Raw Forging build?
I was drinking coffee and realized I had not addressed this.

The biggest reason to anodize is corrosion resistance. Aluminum doesn't rust but it will corrode which does funky things to the integrity of the material. It also gets scaly and makes a mess which is not good for the inside of a gun.
Now, I haven't anodized mine yet (because I can't find a local engraver who will touch it with a 10ft pole) and it shows no signs of corrosion but keep in mind it's being stored in a climate controlled area and it got a wipe down with some oil just like steel to protect it.

There are also different types of anodizing....hard, bright, etc....Hard anodizing is extremely tough and offers great protection and wear. If you are building a SHTF, zombie apocalypse gun I would highly recommend it.
Bright gives you a glossy like finish and IMO would look ghey on a gun.
Most guns get a "standard" type of anodizing which results in a matt type finish we are all used to seeing on ARs and such.

Anodizing also doesn't add thickness to the material like most coatings and the process actually helps to smooth machining marks in the material. Bright anodizing REALLY smooths them out, it will make a .005" deep scratch disappear!! The others....not so much.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer