Thinkin about AR-15.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Thinkin about AR-15.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thinkin about AR-15.

First of all, my experience in guns is quite your typical guy, I have a

savage m 110 for hunting,

Maverick 88 by mossberg for waterfowling and home defense(interchanging the barrel out of course)

taurus pt 111,

smith and wesson 40 cal,

romy ak 47 (that has had some work done on it since it was shipped in with canted problems) and

my new taurus 85 38 cal.

I go to the range every now and then when im off from work with family, and we all love shooting. But i have never been the fan of the ar-15 and always believed that ak 47's were just more rugged, easier to maintain and never once thought abouy puchasing one. My co-worker owns a couple of guns and tell's me he loves his ar-15 and is a great gun to have for defense and recreational shooting. He's argued and told me they shoot better than ak's but need more time to maintain and clean.

the reason im thinking about buying an ar is because i have money saved up to spend on another firearm.

So i figured it would be best to ask around what you guys would recommend a good 1st AR to buy between the price's of 800-1,500$ when i go to the gun shop and order one.

all advice is appreciated and will be taken in consideration.

thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #2

Why don't you try your buddies AR15 out to see if you like how they shoot before you buy it.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #3

Default ya

smart idea. We'll probably go when we get the same day off and ill ask him to meet me at the range. But we do disagree on many things and id rather get more experienced people advice that is older than 19 on picking the best ar since i will be spending a good couple of dollars on it.

Thanx

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #4

I own both; and, I like them both. Accuracy is the same. (My AK is an Arsenal, Inc.) If I had to grab one to fight with it would be a toss up! My AR-15 is an LE6920; but, in your price range, I'd be just as happy with either a Rock River or Stag.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I bought a Rock River Arms NMA4 for $915. It was guaranteed to shoot 3/4"moa - mine does less than 1/2" moa. It has a 20" air gauged stainless bull barrel, NM front & Rear sights (you can choose a smaller .030 hooded aperture for no additional cost) , excellent NM 2-stage trigger, Hogue rubber finger grooved grip, thermo-mold free-float handguard, (2) 20 rd, mags, a hard case, sling, and detacheable carry handle. There is absolutely NO PLAY between the upper and lower receivers, and the finish is the best I've ever seen in a "black rifle". I love it. The wait is longer than 5 wks - mine took almost 12 weeks because RRA was awarded two federal contracts that they are busy filling - one for 5000 rifles for the DEA, and the other for the FBI. So in my opinion, and with the experience that I've had with my rifle, I think RRA is probably the best deal available for the price. To get a rifle at dealer cost however, you must know a dealer who is willing to give you a copy of his FFL and let you order the gun and have it shipped to him. Most FFL dealers today, unless they are a friend, won't do this because they won't make a ton of money selling you the gun! Otherwise my gun would have cost me $1215, stil not bad considering what I got - a match grade AR-15 that no AK ever made will touch as far as accuracy.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #6

Default thanx

For the advice. Seems like rock river and stag are the ar's that seem to best fit my price range. Ill prolly shoot the ar first and see how it handles with accuracy, recoil, grip, etc to make sure it's something i want, and if it turns out to be a gun im comfortable with shooting ill mention those ar types to the dealer if i decide on buying.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hical View Post
For the advice. Seems like rock river and stag are the ar's that seem to best fit my price range. Ill prolly shoot the ar first and see how it handles with accuracy, recoil, grip, etc to make sure it's something i want, and if it turns out to be a gun im comfortable with shooting ill mention those ar types to the dealer if i decide on buying.
I bought the Smith & Wesson M&P15T for $1250.00, and I love it... It comes w/ Troy BUIS and Tactical Floating Rail "which alone cost around $700.00."

IMO is well worth what I paid...

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
So i figured it would be best to ask around what you guys would recommend a good 1st AR to buy between the price's of 800-1,500$ when i go to the gun shop and order one.
Seriously bro? You are opening up a serious can of worms with this post and this price range.

Yes. You can purchase an AR in the upper end of this price range that will probably do EVERYTHING you want it to do.

Yes. You can pick up a "first tier" USED platform in this price range quite easily.

But. Why not have one built to your specs, that fits you, and is one that you are going to feel comfortable with?

I would recommend talking to a qualified gunsmith about an AR in this price range that could make you happy.

Personally, I could build you a hell of an AR for well under your ceiling that will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long, as long as you don't want anything crazy in your gun package.

JD

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
But i have never been the fan of the ar-15 and always believed that ak 47's were just more rugged, easier to maintain and never once thought abouy puchasing one.
I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't believe that a receiver made of stamped sheet metal and spot welded together is anywhere near as rugged as a solid aluminum forging. Maintenance IMO is actually easier on an AR because of the modular design of the AR. An AR can be field stripped in about 15 seconds. Additionally, after you shoot one and compare your group sizes, you'll see for yourself that there is no comparison as far as accuracy. For CQB purposes the AK is on top, for target shooting or competitive shooting there's a good reason you never see AK's on the firing line!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-29-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I like the idea of the Bushmaster Carbon 15s, but would want to see some long term reports on them before sinking the cash in a rifle made out of carbon fiber.

Also, have you considered building your own?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.