Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > These lowers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Default These lowers?

What do y'all think about these lowers for my next builds? One will be built primarily for 5.56 and will need to be durable and dependable. It also might find itself with a few other uppers such as 7.62x39 and .50 beowulf. The other will be for long range and spend most of its life with a 6.5 upper. But that could change.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 700

They seem to be of acceptable quality at a good price. Never heard of a complaint from Surplus but I have no first hand experience with the company.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
They seem to be of acceptable quality at a good price. Never heard of a complaint from Surplus but I have no first hand experience with the company.
What would you recommend? I know you are one of the ones on here that can build these things blindfolded riding a horse in less than 5 min.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

For the price they are amazing deals

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

They have a 3 pack also. I might just git it. Can never have to many lowers.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
What would you recommend? ...
Nothing stands out as wrong with those but I'd recommend handling as many lowers as you can, paying particular attention to flared magwells, good finish work and properly placed/smoothly drilled holes. Of course pick a rollmark you'll be proud of. The best forged lower I've bought is the S&W. I have a billet that I like too but would normally select forged.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:

Nothing stands out as wrong with those but I'd recommend handling as many lowers as you can, paying particular attention to flared magwells, good finish work and properly placed/smoothly drilled holes. Of course pick a rollmark you'll be proud of. The best forged lower I've bought is the S&W. I have a billet that I like too but would normally select forged.
Well that's grate. I already have a S&W lol. My first (and only) AR is a M&P 15. And I found one local I dont know how much they wonted tho.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
... I already have a S&W... My first (and only) AR is a M&P 15. And I found one local I dont know how much ...
Well then you know first hand what a good lower looks and feels like. If yours is a Sport then the main difference between its lower and a stripped S&W is the Sport has an integrated trigger guard. Look at the flaring of the magwell, that's one thing you should demand of any lower.

Stripped S&Ws usually go for $110-130.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:

Well then you know first hand what a good lower looks and feels like. If yours is a Sport then the main difference between its lower and a stripped S&W is the Sport has an integrated trigger guard. Look at the flaring of the magwell, that's one thing you should demand of any lower.

Stripped S&Ws usually go for $110-130.
Mine is not the sport. I bought my AR at a spur of the moment thing. I have always wonted one but did not know much about them. My uncle was sealing his bc he needed money. I asked him if it was a good AR he said yes. I knew it had to be a good AR bc it is S&W. And the look on his face when I walked out with it. Other than that I don't know anything about it until I did research and joined FTF. Now I'm finding out this its just even more exciting. (Is there any thing you would do to it to make it more reliable? All I have done is add the B.A.D).

Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

Mine is not the sport. I bought my AR at a spur of the moment thing. I have always wonted one but did not know much about them. My uncle was sealing his bc he needed money. I asked him if it was a good AR he said yes. I knew it had to be a good AR bc it is S&W. And the look on his face when I walked out with it. Other than that I don't know anything about it until I did research and joined FTF. Now I'm finding out this its just even more exciting. (Is there any thing you would do to it to make it more reliable? All I have done is add the B.A.D).
More reliable? B.a.d. are to make locking and releasing the bolt quicker. S&W are reliable stock, you can upgrade it to your liking. Different stock, quad rail, optic, fore and aft grips. Etc