Which of these AR-15's would you buy? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which of these AR-15's would you buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default No need for fighting xD

Dang i really like these forums. First time on it and you guys are NOT afraid to voice your opinions. Again i really appreciate it all and i ordered it. Found a local pawn shop that will take it on ffl fee's for $20. If anyone has some advice or can tell me what a good scope/red dot is for around $75 or less let me know!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #32

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Your HBAR is under 7 lbs? I think you need a new scale.

Your right. My bad its actually 7.5 pounds. Almost as light as my 10/22. Almost.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #33

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Ive been shooting and using the AR platform since 1986. Nice steal on the rest of your post.

The snobs and one uppers like to tell us lowly folk how ignorant we are for not buying a pile of parts from puke state armory and building a better rifle for less. Even on posts where nobody asks about building a gun it happens.
Uncle Sam handed me an M16 when I went to Vietnam in 1968, 18 years before your AR initiation. Funny thing, it was a pencil, not HBAR!

Remember snobbery goes both ways.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

bluez Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Already did. You know who you are. Then again, maybe you don't.
I think of myself as a smart shopper. I do a lot of research before buying any large ticket item. Guns, electronics, autos, appliances, etc. Also when I build an AR or a PC. Parts do matter.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

bluez Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Uncle Sam handed me an M16 when I went to Vietnam in 1968, 18 years before your AR initiation. Funny thing, it was a pencil, not HBAR!
So. Does that make you better than me? Nope. Does that mean we all should shoot pencil barrel AR's? Nope. Some people don't like heavy guns but my AR is far from heavy. I don't know though, some people might think its heavy. In 1968 they were lucky the AR even shot a full mag without a stoppage. Im sure the barrel diameter was the last thing on their minds at the time. When did the military stop using the pencil barrel? Today's M4 is far from pencil barreled.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #36

Quote:
I think of myself as a smart shopper. I do a lot of research before buying any large ticket item. Guns, electronics, autos, appliances, etc. Also when I build an AR or a PC. Parts do matter.
I agree 100% with you on this. It would be silly and expensive to do otherwise in most cases. I also respect your knowledge of AR's but I don't always agree with you. Merica. I love this country.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #37

Quote:
So. Does that make you better than me? Nope. Does that mean we all should shoot pencil barrel AR's? Nope. Some people don't like heavy guns but my AR is far from heavy. I don't know though, some people might think its heavy. In 1968 they were lucky the AR even shot a full mag without a stoppage. Im sure the barrel diameter was the last thing on their minds at the time. When did the military stop using the pencil barrel? Today's M4 is far from pencil barreled.
No, actually you made the point that you'd been around ARs since 1986 so why not point out it has been since 1968 for me.

Sure, today's ARs are better than what we had in Vietnam but the pencil barrel profile was never the problem. The overall rifle design was good however bad magazines, wrong ammo/powder and lack of chrome lined barrels were the real problems. Pencils do just fine today and are excellent in the semiauto rifles most of us use.

And no, I'm not a "one upper", I have three uppers!

______

Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco141414 View Post
I appreciate all of your wise words of wisdom. I just now checked back on this post after making my decision. I decided on the Delton and from all your posts, it seems i made the right decision. It seems to be a sturdy beginner gun (Hell probably even a little beyond beginner). Thanks!! Keep the posts coming. I love all this advice!
Hope it works out well for you Bronco! We do require pics and a range report. Very soon!

______

Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #39

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I own a bit of everything out there 7" spikes upper, 14.7 LW PSA mid upper , 11.5" HBAR colt upper , 16" PSA M4 upper , Sota Arms 16" HBAR 7.62X39 barreled upper . 20" HBAR Colt upper . I will pick up that 14.7 LW every time I head out to the range . Its accurate , its light, its balanced well and I like it . Does that make a a AR snob ?
Best $$$$ deal out there on parts right now to build your own is hands down PSA . FN made CLHF barrels last forever and are rock solid accuracy . Nothing wrong with Delton or anything else out there , but there are other options out there for lesser money thats just better quality parts .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #40

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:

Keep the weight down? It weighs less than 7lbs. Any lighter and it would be a .22lr. Im 6'3'' and weigh 225lbs. Its not heavy. BTW Who is us? You mean gun snobs? Or the one upper guy?
When you're carrying a pack, side arm, mags for each firearm each ounce matters. Ask any person who has experience with the platform and they will concur.

I prefer the 1:7 twist just so I don't lose accuracy with high grain rounds and the standard profile is nice especially if you're carrying it around for long periods

If it is just a plinking gun or on a bench mostly I don't think the profile matters